Fall weed and feed

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Woodland, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Woodland

Woodland LawnSite Member
    from Maine

It's time to get my lawn in to shape. Can I put down a weed & feed in the fall? or should I wait till spring?

2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

probably be best to use a winter fert. and a pre-emergent.

3. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

.......be sure to explain what kind of turf also!

4. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

ampeg, he's from maine.. most likely blue/rye/fescue/bent/crap mix.

I didn't know people in maine had lawns. I figured the moose ate it all.

5. Woodland

Woodland LawnSite Member
    from Maine

Yes, minus the bent.

Of course we do, just isn't always grass! If its green and has to be cut down every few weeks or so, its a lawn.

6. Woodland

Woodland LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I'm concerned mostly with hawkweed and plantain and to a lesser extent clover. I was thinking a fall application followed next spring with another, but I wansn't sure if I should skip the fall and wait till spring.

7. mkroher

hawkweed and plantain are probably the only weeds you will kill with that "weed & feed" because they are so large and can catch the granuals. Make sure the weeds are wet when you do it.

Any chance you can use liquid weed control?

If you have a ton of weeds, do it now.

How about some pictures of this "lawn"?

8. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Ditto. Sept/October is the best time to kill broadleaf weeds, but liquid herbicide is far better than dry products. Best time to fertilize is late fall (winterizer), but it's nice to feed the lawn more than just once a year.

9. Woodland

Woodland LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I started putting fert. down in early summer, a few weeks before the summer dry spell (which came a few weeks early this year). Put a second app down about 5 weeks ago. I've seen great improvement in the quality of the turf. Nice green color and its growing like a....well, you know.

What type of liquid herbicide might I try. I don't do any herbicide/pesticide apps for my customers - only granular fertilizer for my few lawn customers, so I'm not sure what there is for options.

10. mkroher

Go to homedepot, look for a concentrate weed killer in like a gallon size container. It'll say "kills weeds, not lawns", or something. Buy a small hand pump sprayer also. Follow directions on the label for mixing, and squirt away.

Don't buy the stuff that says it'll also kill crabgrass. The stuff you want can kill weeds like "dandelion, clover, etc.. (Broadleaf weeds).

-mike