Fallen Asleep on ZTR?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AlbeLawn, Aug 2, 2005.

1. AlbeLawn

AlbeLawn LawnSite Member

Well i was on my biggest job Thursday on my ZTR and found myself dosing off at the end of it. I am on the machine for almost 1.5 hours.

Well at the end i would be cutting and would wake up. I would be like 10-20 feet off of my stripe. Well i kept on going and i did it almost 3 times before i was done. I guess i was that tired, but you would think the noise of the machine would of kept me up. I guess us in the biz just are so use to the noise of the engine that we can sleep to it.

Just curious if this happens to others.

Albenesius Lawn Service
  2. wissel_landscaping

wissel_landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

That happens to sometimes even with the work tunes and the sound of the mower i find myself falling asleep, i will stop lower the throttal and try to get a second wind then go back to cutting.
  3. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

Falling asleep after an hour and half? I'm on one for 6 hours straight at one of our jobs.
  4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i don't htink any of my accounts have a smooth enough lawn to allow me to fall asleep ;0
  5. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Actually I've seen that if you're tired you're tired. It doesn't matter how loud something is you adapt to it and sleep.
  6. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

It happened to me 2 years ago I was tired from operating my eXmark metro in combination with lack of sleep 2-3 nights before in a row. I finished my shift and route, got into my truck and just feel stalled and slow, and suddenly fell asleep like that..hard to get up once you are totally tired and exhausted. Since then, I make sure I get enough sleep before start cutting.
  7. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

i know a guy that fell asleep on one of them and almost wrecked bad!
  8. AlbeLawn

AlbeLawn LawnSite Member

I have work tunes and i think you are right it will put you asleep really fast.
    Also this is only at the end of the day. When i do the job at 6 in the morning i can do it with out even blinking. It only happens at the end of the day.

9. Grass Cake

Grass Cake LawnSite Senior Member
    from Zone C

ask your doctor about sleep apnea
    I had it for years and never knew.......i would fall asleep at any giving moment.....ANYTIME!....,ANYPLACE!
  10. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

That is too funny as I do it all the time. Usually after 2pm. Sometimes around canals! I always do it on my own property! But for some reason I wake just prior to making a turn.

As far as a sleep problem most of it is due to the heat. I always get about five hours sleep each night. Go to bed ad 11:30 up at 4:30 - 5 and then go to shop. I usually get off the mower and stretch and then get back on. Oh and I have WorkTunes but listen to talk radio during the week and music on weekends.