1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

False Advertising - Cutting Heights Incorrect

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by aussiegreg, Oct 9, 2005.

1. aussiegreg

aussiegreg LawnSite Member

G'day Lawnies,

I have a Toro Z597 27hp Diesel with 60in Turbo Force Deck. I have just realised that whilst my Toro is advertised with a cutting range of 1 1/2 to 5 inches in 1/4 inch increments, this is far from the truth. At an indicated height of 5 inches the mower is actually cutting at 3 1/2 inches and at an indicated 2 1/2 inches it is actually 1 inch at the blade tip.

Does anyone else have this problem???

That is with a Toro or other brands. Is this common for manufacturers to make false claims. ???

Check your mower you may be suprised!!!

Greg

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Scag is the same way, I wish the manufactures had the true measurements on them instead of just alot of numbers. It would be alot easier when using a scag and a toro (my set up) to keep both mowers the same height

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know of any mower that gives you the true cutting height on their indicator. It WOULD however, be nice if they cut higher than their indicator rather than lower.

4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

My 05 Lazer Z 60" and my friends 03 Scag Turf Tiger 61" both cut 1/2" lower than marked... Both have zero flat front tires (mine factory his he added this spring and did have to re-adjust the deck to reflect the new height) and both have proper rear tire pressure. Mine used to only be 1/4" off. It is a 2005 with 200 hours on it... things stretch after all the bouncing and beating of commercial use. If it bothers you, re-adjust your deck hanging hardware to show correct height. If you are too lazy to do that (like me!) then just set the deck higher to compensate. If you really don't give a rip (they why are you reading this thread?) or if your yards just look good as they are, then leave it alone! LOL.......

BTW, I've noticed that my TTHP has always measured at the same height as the decal indicates it should in each height pin setting. There is nothing to stretch or wear out!

Eric

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Had a Ferris Z that was off by 3/4" lower than what was measured.

6. Creative Lawn Care

Creative Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

My 61" Yazoo actually cuts about 3/4" lower than the label says. So I just mow all my 3" yards at 3 3/4. Sorta aggervating but it really doesnt matter.

7. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I understand this is a standard in the industry. However, when buying my Scag Z-Cat before ever cutting grass with. I slimed tires, checked cutting heights with tape measure and they were dead on with decal.

8. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I demoed 2 JD Quicktracks. A 48" and a 54" with a catcher. The 48" I tried on a lawn that I mow at 3.5" I set it at 3.5" and ended up with it set at 3" to get the same vut height.
    Tried the 54" and automatically compensated by setting it at 3". OOPS, this machine was actually 3" at that height and I buzzed an extra half inch off my lawn about 50 feet long... Oh well, It was time to drop the cut height anyway for the fall...

I asked the Dixie Chopper guy here about cut height on their machines, if it was still only adjustable in 5/8" incriments. (I'd much prefer 1/4". Actually I would NEED 1/4") He said he had no idea and had never even been asked that before... I just love going into places and asking questions about a machine that have been selling for a few years that they have no answer for. Sure they can poor out the info on the hydro system and the hp+1 muffler, the s*** I don't realy care about. But ask about a grass catcher, or if the deck problems have been fixed, or hill holding capabilities, or cut height. He has no idea, so I get the usual standard "I'm sure they addressed the issue", or "It works like it's supposed too"

Ok, rant over... lol!

9. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

My 2 ExMarks (60" Lazer & 48" LazerHP) cut 1/2" lower than indicated when compared to my TORO (44" z-147)& a buddies 60" Hustler.

Mike

10. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

my deck gets set at 4" and cuts at 3.75". im still trying to fix it. but dont have the right wrench for it.