1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

False advertising + FULL SERVICE LEADER since 1989, ooops

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Nov 11, 2007.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I think lawnsite members need to be aware of false advertising by competitors.:usflag:

Say for example, a company says they have been a "full service leader" since 1989. Problem is........ this guy was in MIDDLE SCHOOL school in 1989.

Seems this guy pulled a lawn mower behind his "bicycle" in 1989 (according to friends & neighbors, as well as our customers).

State records prove this.

Anybody else running up against false advertising?

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Oh, this site is FULL of these guys. Years of experience includes mowing Aunt Mabel's lawn when they were seven. This "years of experience" later translates into "years in business". :laugh:
    I used to give my dog an antibiotic when I was around 12, so I guess I've been practicing veterinary medicine for around 30 years, now. :weightlifter: :rolleyes:
  4. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

Take a class or go fishing.
    You must have something more important to think about.
  5. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

there's an idea

since I know who you are speaking of and since this is not the first time you have posted this same exact post and since we all know (like already mentioned) guys, especially on this message board, that claim this type of thing.......so what???????

I know a guy (kid) in MD who has been in business for 10 years. He is doing very well for himself. Has employees, grosses around $250,000/year and is in his second year at college which makes him 19-20 years old.

I started in the green industry when I was 12...I'm now 53. I dont claim 40plus years in business because like you I dont feel that at 12 I was a business. Others feel differently...who cares???
    I also wouldnt call it false advertising....but thats me, obviously you feel differently that me. Arent we all entitled to our opinions??

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

Why would you worry about this or do you just like to post. It would not bother me at all I'm just worried about what i do not others i can can only control what i do .And try to do the best i can and be honest
    Charles Cue
  7. americanlawn

from midwest

Okay I will. I will pass along your advice along to my other lawn care owner friends who are also concerned (if you don't mind).

But it will be a cold day in h#ll when I suggest that my company started in 1962 when I started mowing our farm place lawn.:laugh:

I have no problem whatsoever with this certain company....in fact, I have friends there, and I have even given them our sources of where we buy stuff. We get along just fine. It's the false advertising I have a prob with. PERIOD. Nothing more.:walking:

I really do not care if somebody knows "them" or not, cuz that's not the point........Run an honest business and there will never be a problem. Just don't do false advertising.:usflag:

8. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

so whats this guy worth today? and why do you feel threatened by him?

ever read Marty Grunder's books? (i know many here wont even know who he is, google his name) he claims to have started his business when he was young (cant quite remember the age but he was in high school)

Just wondering if there is some sort of rule on age for starting a business??

for those who are to lazy to google...or dont know what google is?

or this one
  9. americanlawn

from midwest

Threat? What threat? We've had Marty's binders & CD's for years. What's this guy worth?.........Don't know. Don't care. Read the post....it's about false advertising. I was mowing in 1962, but that is not when I started a lawn care business (it was much later). Marty Grunder is a standup guy, and he never lied about his business. I guess that's my point.

Just looking for feedback from members.

10. americanlawn

from midwest

1st one was posted by M____. An employee of mine. I searched for it, but couldn't find it. But recently the new phone books came out. That's why I posted this. I am the company owner. Just asked for comments. Not mentioning any companies either. So for anyone to suggest that I go fishing or golfing seems like a personal attack.:nono:

Maybe I'm wrong? :hammerhead:

M____ is here too, and here are his thoughts regarding your criticism.

Get a life jack----------if you believe in lying to the public and falsifying stuff. Good luck..