1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

False E-Mail Says Mulch Has Termites

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jt5019, Mar 7, 2006.

1. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

This aimed more towards the Michigan areas but it probably goes for most of us.

A circulating e-mail is warning people that mulch sold locally is infected with termites.

The e-mail states that the mulch is from Hurricane Katrina ravaged areas of Louisiana, Local 4 reported.

Local businesses say most of the mulch sold in Michigan is from Michigan, and there is nothing to worry about.

"The only thing that generally comes down from the south is your cypress mulches and sometimes your cedar mulches, but those come out of Florida, Alabama and Kentucky," said Tim Seal of E & A Landscape Supply. "Those mulches themselves are natural repellents of insects due to their chemical nature."

The e-mail names two specific businesses, Home Depot and Lowes, but both chains say their mulch comes from known sources, and not from storm wood, according to the station's reports.

Mulch suppliers are members of the Mulch and Soil Council, which has strict production and inspection standards.
  2. AUHort1990

AUHort1990 LawnSite Member

Got this as an attachment in an email from the Southern Nursery Association.

3. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

The hurricane mulch IS going SOMEWHERE......anybody know for sure?
  4. AUHort1990

AUHort1990 LawnSite Member

5. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

6. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Should make selling mulch in bulk easier IMO if you market it as locally produced. The supplier I use does locally produce it so I hope the hoax email increases sales for me.