1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

False Security On Trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ed2hess, Jul 22, 2012.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

For 10 years I thought my trailer was secure nothing stolen. Last week they took two trimmers while I was eating lunch at my house. Trimmers locked but I parked with trimmers on road side not against curb. They bent the tabs and away they went. So I got a bait trimmer on my trailer to see how far they will go with my additonal cable.

2. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

You placed a trimmer you don't want out with all sorts of locks on it to see how much trouble someone will go through to steal it?

Am I reading that correctly?

If so, why?
  3. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

I'd guess he wants to see how much security he needs in order to keep his new trimmers safe
  4. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Trimmer traps are designed to show off equipment to the whole wide world, or at least that's part
    how those contraptions strike me, in your face show me your stuff, now if I were a thief...

How we learned to keep gasoline cans underneath tarps.
    All the security in the world didn't stop thieves from stealing our gasoline.
    But the instant the cans were no longer visible, it pretty much stopped.
  5. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

Try the Extreme racks they work well.
  6. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

That, or just leave one can out with something other than gasoline in it.
  7. Tyler's Lawn Maintenance

Tyler's Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

That's a best idea I've heard in a while. With my luck though, one of my guys would put the contents of that can in one of my machines. Haha
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. smallstripesnc

smallstripesnc LawnSite Senior Member

At this time I do not have trimmer/blower racks on my tiny 4X6 trailer. I cut some lawns in not such a good area and personally I keep my stuff locked in my car while I cut them lawns. Now I do that with all my lawns. Sure its a pain to roll up the windows all the time and yes its very hot getting back in but I'd rather now have equipment stolen.
  9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Bingo ....that is the point. And they know where I live and probably assume I will be getting more trimmers. I am going down to the dealer to get some of those new looking trimmers that get scrapped when people run raw gas in them.
  10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I am really looking for some ideas on how to stop these guys. We lost 2 more trimmers a month ago in the same area. The guys put the trimmers in the back of the truck and went to blow off. 99% of time one of the 4 guys would have been with 100ft of the truck but not this time. Started the year with 10 backup trimmers now I got 6 plus this bait timmer that I might have to get running.

Any body mount any camera on truck to watch trailer?