Family Assistance ...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by drsogr, Apr 13, 2008.

1. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Let me preface this by saying I am no longer in the landscaping arena. My wife's Grandma asked me to help her overseed her lawn and do some landscaping. I told her yes, I would be able to help her.

So we planted the grass today, I told her that I would rent the verticutter today, as it was the only day that worked with her schedule. So I drove 15 miles to the only place open today. Spent basically $10.00 bucks on gas. The agreement was that I would seed her lawn for free if she would pay for the verticutter, so that I could use it on my lawn. She is family, I no longer have a business...it works. I wasn't out to make a buck.

So I bought all the seed and fertilizer and planted the seed in my lawn, everything went smooth. Went to her house the grass wasn't mowed at all, the yard was all uneven from when she paid someone else to put in a sprinkler system. So needless to say the verticutter didn't work worth a darn on her lawn. She came outside and said I am not paying for that piece of junk, its not doing its job.

So I ended up eating the cost of the verticutter (Which I wouldn't have rented if it was just for my front lawn.) She paid me for the seed and the fertilzer and that was it.

So for those of you at home my favor for my wifes grandma, cost me

$10.00 gas
    $37.77 for splitseeder
    3 hours of my day

When I left, she told me that she really wished that she could pay me for my time, but she didn't have any money. This was after she explained to me how much she spent on the sprinkler system, and showed me her new carpet in the basement.

I have no problem with helping family, but she has not done one thing in the past to help me or my family out. She is costing me money, how should I go about telling her that I don't want to do anymore work for her, without being insulting?

She also went on about how she just wanted to buy plant at lowes. Everytime I do anything for her she wants me to half ass it, it looks like crap, and I got to go over there and look at it. Not to mention she has no green thumb, so everything I put in is neither maintained or fertilized.

2. corbster

corbster LawnSite Fanatic
    from OHIO

Just always be busy when she want's something done or lay down the law on how you do things...and not how she want's them done.

3. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

Sounds like it's time to quit helping her out.

4. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i second this one:usflag: