family lawncare

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassdaddy, Feb 4, 2003.

1. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

How many out there have spouse or kids that help out??I would have been dead last year if not for the wife,and sometimes daughter helpin out when 14yrld son broke leg.(6"1 210).We really pulled together.

2. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

My wife has helped me in a pinch but she is so allergic to everything down here that I don't ask her anymore. I do appreciate her help when I needed it but I can't stand to see her suffer like that. My son helped me for a while but said I was too hard on him and quit. It's hard to find good help, LOL

3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

My 15 year old son helps me every day. I've been training him on the ZTR's for the last 4 years. Can't wait until he can drive.

4. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

I had a cousin work for me. After the second day I couldn't take it anymore. I didn't think he would be so lazy for the wage I was paying him. Since he was family and had relocated for this job, I gave him 2 weeks severance.

My expectations are too high for people to work with me in lawn care. For me, that's one of the bad parts of this business. I can't make the transition to employing a lawn care workforce.

5. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

My wife can outwork at team of Mexicans.

6. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I think family interevntion is an awesome thing!!

However I highly caution you to find out what the minimu ages for equipment operations are in your state. In NY you cannot run mowers under age 18.

7. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Back in the days when I only used push mowers my wife helped me for 2 hours. Next thing I know, she's throwing up beside the van. Give her credit for trying. Just not cut out for her.

8. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

The only draw back is, you can't complain about the stripes being crooked. She will get off the mower and throw down with you!:D

9. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

grassdaddy. My lawn service started 20 years ago with me and my wife. as my 2 sons got older they helped out. now my sons are married. and work for Shaw in Ringgold. My wife found out 2 years ago she had overian cancer. But by the Grace of GOD she is cancer free now. And when i say By the Grace of GOD She had a 20 lb tumer in her overy so i have hired 3 good workers. to replace the Great lady I marred 33 years ago

10. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Families are a great thing to have. My uncle also does landcaping part-time so he helps when I need advice and my brother helps cut lawns with me every once in a while when I'm behind. Next year when he will be gone(going to college at Air Foce Academy) I will need to hire a helper.