Family needs to sell sons 52" Toro Z-Master

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowerman90, Dec 16, 2007.

1. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm posting this in hopes that anyone who needs a good mower can help
    these people out. A family friend of ours recently lost their son and are trying to sell his mower. I offered to help and posted here.

This mower has been well maintained and has a less than 100 hr old Kohler motor on it. The mower has not been used for the past several years other than as a backup mower. It runs and cuts well and the hydros feel and respond well. This mower has always been mower shop maintained and they have the documents to show you. You can see pictures on my webpage here: http://www.klawns.com/toro.html

2. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

The hour meter in the picture shows 1,618 hours on this machine, that's quite a bit ... don't know that I'd be willing to pony up $ 2,500 for it !!

3. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

whats the hp 20 23?

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'm all for donations for a good cause, but spending a lot of money on something I don't need isn't my way, I'd rather send money straight then I don't got the machine to deal with too, if that makes any sense.

Posting this in the appropriate section would help as well, perhaps someone with admin powers can move this to "Free Equipment and Parts Classifieds," what you'd get for it is hard to say for sure but it usually takes more than hey 5 minutes of my time and it's sold, that much I know.

Now...
    You can wait until very late winter to very early spring, then put it on ebay, let the free market decide and be done with it.

You want to maximize the value then study the fluctuation of the equipment on ebay and take the trends as an indicator, in addition to watching the weather, you want to hit this thing JUST before the best lawns out there start to grow.

You do all that it might glean you a few more hundred, you never know what it will sell for but I will tell you the blue book is between inexistent and hardly a G for them kind of hours, mostly because it's too hard to say how much longer it will last. So what I would do is expect the worst, hope a little for the best, and you likely won't be disappointed.

5. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe it's a 23

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I think that mower is easily worth $2500. There are 2 systems that cost the most money on a ZTR. The engine and the hydro system. The engine is literally brand new at only 100 hours. At 1600 hours the hydro system should have at least 1400 hours left on it. If you make the much bragged about (on Lawnsite) $60 an hour with this mower you should make $84,000 with this mower before having problems with the hydro system. For an investment of only $2500 I think that's a pretty good deal.

BTW, I don't know who that guy or shop is that is doing the work but a buck-fifty for a nut and $7.35 for a fuel filter is pretty high.

7. mowing grass 1111

mowing grass 1111 LawnSite Senior Member

i found out over the years to never try and sell a used piece equipent to a fellow landscaper.. most of them don't seem to know the value of a piece of equipment. i could get $2,500 out of that machine all day long.
    try putting the mower on craigslist and advertize local

8. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Must be in a high rent area. List price for that filter is less than what they charged after a discount.

9. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Actually, list on the filter from the latest Kohler file is $6.99, so a 5% markup to cover common things like freight and stocking isn't really THAT much.

And to Richard: The nut is a nylon insert locknut, and at 1/2" size of the nut and if it was purchased locally (meaning somebody had to go pick it up) , $1.50 is cheap.

Oh, and $1 a minute just to knock a little grass down is "pretty high" also.

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I guess Kohler filters are that high but most places install the 99 cent filters you can get anywhere.

I buy them by the box and pay 50 cents a piece for them. It never occurred to me to mark them up 300%. And yes, I know what a Nyloc is.