Family Project?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by procut, Nov 24, 2004.

1. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I gave an estimate to a lady for some clean up. Pretty simple; collect leaves piled next to fence / house, and remove pineneedles from driveway. I showed her the estimate ($95.00), and with no hesitation, she said "when can you do it?" I told her I could be there Saturday. She says great, see you then. Today, I have a message on my answering machene from her saying the she will have to cancel because she feels its very important that she and her mother do it as a "family project" this weeked. BTW: Her mother is about 85 years old, she lives with her and answered the door when i went to give estimate. :dizzy: Anybody ever had anything like this happen / what do you guys think?

2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

sort of. i used to mow for my parents neighbor. they decided not to renew their contract because their son wanted to do it. He's 6! All they have is a junk pushmower and their yard is all hills. They have/had gorgeous grass. Now they only mow it every two weeks or so and of course they don't trim/edge. Of course the son doesn't do it they said he tried and couldn't cause he was too small..go figure. I asked he they wanted me to start again and he said no because his wife wanted something to do when she was home! Does she do it? NO The husband does, he goes out at about 30 minutes before dark and starts to mow. Goes 10 feet and empties the bag 10 feet and empties etc. Takes him 4 days to mow his yard cause he starts so late! These people are both doctors it's not like they can't afford me.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

probably what happened is once she thought about the price you didn't want you to do it, but she was embarassed to tell you that was the reason

4. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

i think i would be more embarassed to have someone see my husband out mowing the yard starting at dark and taking days and dumping all the cut grass in the back of his Escalade EXT. This is a $800k neighborhood!

Maybe he does it for the exercise!

5. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

her and her mom probably got into a fight about the $ issue so she needed a good excuse to say nevermind and not want to make it seem like its because your charge. her mom may have thought it was to much, i find that older people thing everything should be $5 cause thats how it was when they were 15 and dont realise there is a little something called inflation, whereas the daughter realises that your giving her a deal but cant talk her mom into it so instead of fighting with her mom over it, she just tells you that to make it seem like its not because of the $.

thats just my oppinion. hope it makes sense.

6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Reminds me a guy that accepted a bid of mine in the spring for some work. He was hesitated, said it was high, but accepted. Later to call me a say "Oh, I just remembered that my brother-in-law was a landscaper and he is going to do the work."....yeah right...whatever.

7. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the feedback guys! I didn't lose any sleep over it, just thought the situation was wierd. It was probably something to to with $.

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

at least you didn't lose sleep. Too many times I have lost sleep over similar situations