1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fantastic clean up tip.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 6'7 330, Dec 29, 2005.

1. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

A member here on lawn site, advised me of his unique clean-up method. Those among you who engage in cleanups will find it a good tip. This tip is good on lawns that have about 16 to 20 k of turf, 8 to 10 k front, and 8 to 10 k back. After putting his tip into action, we have discovered the fastest method for cleanups on that size of turf area. You take generators and two big 36-inch 230-volt fans, and position the fans on each side of house so that their force blows all the leaves out into one area. We first Blow the beds out with a backpack, then we turn the fans on and they blow the leaves out into a straight line. You then use the backpacks to easily blow the leaves into a pile, to be collected up very easily.

One word of caution…do not, I repeat do not get in front of the fans after they have been engaged. With all the leaves and twigs stirred up by the force of the fans, it would be suicide. In addition rig the fans up with wheels; it will make the clean up go even faster.
  2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

You know, I was wondering a while back if big bad fans would actually work on larger open areas... My idea included mounting a large belt driven industrial fan on a push frame... you know, the belt drive type that are hung and ran by belt from a pony electrical motor.

My thoughts were the fan and a gas pony motor could be mounted on the push frame.
    Bang, dry land wind boat.

But I don't do cleanups where I blow and remove leaves.
    So the whole thing was no more than a passing thought I had while driving one day.
    (following a concrete finish crew with an open trailer and a large fan)
  3. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

You'd have to have an awfully large trailer to carry two of those things, generators, and all the other equipment you will need to do it. Plus the cost of the generators and fans....Liability issues (since you are not actually "in control" of the fans).
    Sounds more like a lawsuit waiting to happen, either from employees or property owners.

I mean, you said it yourself, the sticks and twigs blowing like hell.
  4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I use a system similar to that when I have a lot of leaves to blow around a corner or through a small gate. I set my 420 up to blow out the gate and feed it leaves with my 600. Works great, less time.
  5. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Fans... generators... all you need now is some seats and a tent and you'll have a circus.
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I have a pretty good memory...only problem it's short. Was it Mac's idea that I seem to remember???
  7. K c m

K c m LawnSite Senior Member

That sounds like a good idea for a crew but to much work for being solo. I make a pass with my bg-65 around the perimeter and blow everything out about a foot. Put a mat in the middle (after blowing out the space where the mat will lie) 4 ski poles and use my 48 and go around in circles with the guard up. WHen i get closer i put the guard down and it puts it all right on the matt. NO problems.
  8. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

geez, probably. Who else would come up with something so bizarre???

Actually, it was probably out of necessity... you know, back in the stone ages before they had invented those things crazy little gadgets called "leaf blowers"!
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Hmmm...wonder what the ex mrs. rf is doing thses days LOL?:p
  10. chopsticks33

chopsticks33 LawnSite Member

yeah i was just gonna say, whats wrong with using a leaf blower??