Farmer needs tuff Small Zero Turn Advice

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by JamesMu, Apr 9, 2007.

1. JamesMu

JamesMu LawnSite Member

Hello all my name is James

I have a bit of a different situation then most so, I figured I would ask advice for people that use these machines everyday. I am tired of going through a mower ever year or two. So I have decided to go ahead and buy a commercial grade mower. You see I live on a farm and although The pastures and big areas are no problem for the tractor and bush hog extra. But around the barn and the house I like to keep it looking green and clean. I need a small mower that can hold up to the abuse I need to put it thru. You see I need to be able to mow in small areas so I don’t want anything more then a 42in cut and I don’t want a Briggs engine. I need to be able to mow ditches, ruff terrain, dusty areas, over ant beds, fence lines wooded area and HIGH grass ect.. So I have reviewed the following and they all seem like good mowers but I need one that can stand the abuse I need to put it thru. Also I live near Jacksonville Florida So I don’t want service to be a problem either. Any advice from you professionals would be greatly appreciated.

Commercial:

Husqvarna iZ4217T
    Encore Z fusion
    Dixon Black Bear
    Scag Zcat
    Exmark Phazer
    Gravely 34z
    Hustler Mini z 36/42

Residential:

Cub cadet 17 HP Kohler Courage 42 in
    Hustler Mini Z

2. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

I have a John Deere 757 that is great with a 60" deck. I cannot imagine any fenceline, ditch bank or barn lot on relatively flat land that I could utilize a larger mower than a 34-42 deck. You will be surprised how many tight spots you can mow with a large deck ZRT. What has been tearing up on your other lawn mowers? Deck or Engine?

3. puddin' pie

puddin' pie LawnSite Member

i have a 44z gravely like it, i don't think theres a compact that will mow ditchs very good.

4. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Scag Wildcat, 52" with 27hp LC Kawasaki. I mow about 1.7 acres with about 800 ft of ditch with no problems. A larger deck( more overhang to sides) will give better turning, triming around things withhout hitting rear wheels, ie, better manuervability. I got 52 vs 60 because of width of doors where I store it.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You could try the Everride Hornet, thou your saying that you want a 'small' commercial mower indicates to me that you don't intend on spending the required money for a commercial unit, and perhaps therein lies the problem...

Beyond that, they all require some maintenance and certain required operational procedures, you have to read the owner's manual and obey at least the procedures and precautions, along with the 8, 25, 50, and 100 hour maintenance intervals.

6. spinrider2000

spinrider2000 LawnSite Member

I have a 34z gravely, great mower, NOT for ditches.

7. JamesMu

JamesMu LawnSite Member

Decks mostly...

The "required money" is not a problem the "required space" is .. Some spots are behind 4 foot gates. And the county like to dig the base of the ditchs at 45 inchs.

BTW why topsites why are you hating on me. If you know anything about a farmer we know how to take care of our stuff and fix it. Its just the MTD just isnt cutting it any more.

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Get the Scag Cub 48" and it will hang in there with you on the farm. It is probably the best build unit available.... everything on the unit is built heavy.

9. talldaddy

talldaddy LawnSite Member

I know this is a little larger than your specs., but I bought an exmark lazer z hp in a 46" wide deck with the 19hp kaw engine for 6120 new. It seems like a pretty robust mower. I use it for my small 1.5 ac. yard only. It gets around all my buildings and bushes with ease.

Jeff