Fash Back

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tower Rat 95B, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Tower Rat 95B

Tower Rat 95B LawnSite Member

Lawn Prices when you started versus the present......... Started 1993 all lawns started at 30 a cut and today all lawns start at 38 per cut, and the season that is about to start I will try getting 40 per cut on all new lawns,,,,,,,,,,, point is I don't see a great increase in per cut pricing in my biz or the competions ,,,,,,, but in 93 the 60 inch Bobcat and the 48 Bobcat was almost half what a simalar unit cost today,,,,,,,,,,my Exmark in 02 was 7200 dollars and at todays cost its over 10 grand,,,,,,,,,,, Do ya think we are getting buried with the cost of equipment versus what we can charge for cutting a lawn........
  2. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

I've only been in for two full seasons, but I can see it already. I have some customers I will surely lose this season b/c I am raising prices. I grew up working on dairy farms, I've seen what happens when costs keep rising, but the price you receive doesnt (Look at milk, prices paid to farmers stayed the same for many, many years, yet costs keep going up). I worked for two farmers that sold out b/c they werent making any money. I dont want that to happen to me in this business.
  3. Tower Rat 95B

Hey Matt,

Keep the faith lawn care is a good biz imop, however we all are getting hammered with high cost of fuel and a equipment and mostly in the last 2-3 years.............. These are trying times and a lawn is just a lawn , just cause our overhead goes way does not mean that the average customer can afford a similar cost increase,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I for one would like to make my minimum cut 45 but the average customer is not going to go for lot so I well reflect on past times and try to make the future work the same the way the past worked. Also trying to find a better way............
  4. Tower Rat 95B

What is this thread a dud?:confused:????????????
  5. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

It seems this industry's prices have not risen with the times. Unfortunately, I can't see us ever getting much more than 25-35 on your average city lot. Ten years from now, those lawns will probably be the same. Meanwhile everything else is doubling every decade or so. It might have something to do with the lowballer and or kids that mow for cheap, its hard to say. Just about anything else you can think of would have gone up way more than your $30 lawn to $38 lawn example over 15 years. I guess we need to keep trying to find ways to get done quicker on every lawn and hopefully the equipment we use will be more fuel efficient year to year.
  6. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

lol no you got a couple shots!!