Fast, easy, cheap, best way to learn Espanol?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by General Landscaping, Feb 18, 2006.

1. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Has anybody had a good experience with a book, tape, program, etc. to learn Spanish?
    There's lots of stuff out there. What works:confused:

2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

check and see if your local comminuty college has spanish classes for the green industry....

if not there are several books "spanish for the green industry" etc...
    it will take some time and lots of practice....

good study habits are to make out index cards, and work through the pile untill you can get them all right.

3. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Pimsleur puts out good language courses. I have the Japanese beginners course and it taught me a lot quickly. I have an Instant Immersion Spanish cdrom course that is great for learning basic nouns and phrases. Flashcards are great for building vocabulary. By far, though, the very best way to learn a language is to make a friend who is a native speaker of the language you want to learn, so that you are forced to use and think in that language every day. I took two years of spanish in school, but when I moved to Phoenix and started working with Mexicans I learned more in 4 months of actual conversation than I ever learned through course work. Likewise, my Japanese improved a ton when I got a job at a Japanese restaurant, working with a man who spoke very little english. His english improved also from working with me. So I say, learn the basics of a language from course work and practical conversation and fluency through DAILY conversation with a friend. There is no shortcut, it just takes a lot of time and practice. Hope that helps!

4. green_mark

green_mark LawnSite Senior Member

visit this site to begin to learn the basics. Then get a girlfriend who speaks no English. Just kidding. Anyway by listening to this first you can get your fundamentals, then you must find someone who will force you to speak only in that language.

I have learned Spanish, Quebecois, and some Italian because of this. Mostly you will learn how to understand before you speak. Once you pick up how to "listen" and understand conversations and learn not to convert to English in your head before you convert back to Spanish then you can begin to respond in a timely manner.

In most languages I am still stuck with the 5 second deer in the headlights stare as I convert back to English and then respond in Spanish when it was supposed to be in French.

I also have listened to instant immersion in my sleep. This helps a lot. If you can start dreaming in the language it will also speed your ability to think only in that language.

Also keep in mind that this on-line aid is not really how anyone speaks. They will understand you but all sentences are going to be abbreviated and filled with slang not taught here.

http://www.spanishprograms.com/learn_spanish.htm?link=2

5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I have probably 1/2 dozen different computer programs, but nothing has helped me more than taking Spanish 101 & 102 at my local university. If you are just looking for commonly used phrases used in this industry, then there are books for that. If you are looking for a foundation and something you will remember for a lifetime, then take some courses.