1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fast Facts and Infor.

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Song Bird, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Song Bird

Song Bird LawnSite Member

Is there any fast facts sheets out there for organic or all natural lawn care people to use.
    My husband and I are starting a lawn care service and want to offer all natural fertilizer, weed and pest control.
    We have booth been reading and reading both books, on line and this form.
    There is a lot of information out there.
    What I am looking for is what I would call a cheat sheet or fast facts sheet.
    Something that would list weeds found in lawns, what this indicates as far as what is wrong with the soil, what needs to be done, etc.
    Any other "fast facts" on all natural or organic would be great.
  2. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

for a mountain we have learned fast,12 years now and counting,our organic program is 4 years old this month. as far as a cheat sheet goes..........there's nothing like time to season a person. some books are great at trouble shooting grass. but a better understanding of how it works is something that has no cheat in it. pay your dues and research all that you can... scratch that... learn all that you can and don't be afraid to ask.

good luck and go get em!
  3. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Paul Tukey has a book called "The organic lawn care manual" it is made for howeowners but is a good reference book. Most of his knowledge is on cool season grasses but it does touch on some warm

Also Jeff Lowenfels, "Teaming with microbes" explains why this works so simply

This manual is priceless and is now free, used to be $20.00,
    http://www.organiclandcare.net/Files/NOFA Standards.pdf
  4. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Turfgrass management by Tungeon is not directed specifically at Organics but if you get the rest of the cultural practices right the Organics work better.
  5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

It was a mistake I made 20 years ago.

I was not clear on some issues about the reality of grass. I believed the 'opinions' of some books. Made a fool of myself as a result. Now I only offer what I can safely expect to work based on my personal experience and my own thought through opinion.

Everyone has a different cheat sheet, anyway.