1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fast growth upsetting...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Simone Lawn Service, Aug 2, 2003.

1. Simone Lawn Service

Simone Lawn Service LawnSite Member

My two largest commercial properties (which happen to be side by side) grow too fast! Only one of these has an irrigation system (it's the worst of the two) but, they only water twice a week. I sub my fert. & weed control out to one of the most respected guys in the business in my city. It is absolutely impossible to cut once a week. Neither customer has ever complained about the fact, and pay no ?'s asked. I usually have to cut it every five days in all but the driest weather. However we've had a mutant summer with TONS of rain. I know some of you are saying "so what-more money!" But I really like keeping a set schedule, and I really believe that customers like knowing that the lawn gets cut on "X" day every week. Even when mowing every five days I still have to walk some large sections of the lawns and blow away grass trails so it looks good. I have a 48" Great Dane 17hp kaw. & I believe the bagger would be almost useless (so small). I'm begining to think that a new mower with more HP and a bagging system are in my future for next year. I hate the thought of bagging, but I really believe it would look SO much nicer...Any one have any accounts like these?
    P.S. These are my best accounts & I want to keep them /They do have a place to dump the grass.
  2. challenger55

challenger55 LawnSite Member

i would look into a toro 500 or a 580 z for the next purchase
  3. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Whats so bad about not having a fixed schedule?

Sounds like you have a few options.
    1) Cut every five days and feel guilty
    2) Cut every 7 days and work harder and not have as nice looking property's.
    3) Don't have your guy fert so much or not at all.

I don't see how bagging would help ever. If you have to bag your lawn your probably taking to much off and hurting the grass plus it takes more time. Why buy a new mower for just 2 large accounts so you can just bag them?
  4. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

If the customer is not complaining about the frequency of mowing then he/she must be happy with the results. Just keep the property looking good and the $$ rolling in. I have customers that want their lawns mowed every 4 days so that it looks fresh all the time. It puts more money in my pocket and keeps them happy. That's what is called a win-win situation.
  5. Simone Lawn Service

I guess you guys are right. I think I've just seen a lot on posts about how the customers find comfort in knowing their lawn company will be their every Mon. or Fri. or whichever day it happens to be on. I just mowed it Wed. and I passed it today & it could be cut already-I try not to mow it in less than five days. I still think my next mower will have a bagger kit. It will be great for making my fall clean ups look awesome.
  6. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

kirbyslawn had an outstanding post on this very subject a short while ago which I just bumped up to the top. You should check it out. It's called "customer survey sent....."
  7. Quail Creek LC

Quail Creek LC LawnSite Member
    from IOWA

The solution to your problem.

A. A mower with more HP

B. Double Blades

I used to have the same problem with some of my accounts. Now I can go weekly, except for the month of may and Sept, I usually mow once every 6 days then.
  8. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

you didnt state what type of commerical property this is but they almost always want the same results. results being the property must always look nice, neat, groomed and trimmed. if they are paying and not complaining, they like the job.

keep up the good work and be glad you have grass to cut every 5 days.
  9. Simone Lawn Service

I've never used doubles. Can I just put them on in an "H" tighten up and go? Do I need something to keep them in an "H"? I know this is a common subject for some of you, but I've never done it-don't want to kill someone!
  10. Simone Lawn Service

Sorry, I had a brain fart. What I meant was to put them on in an "X"...I suppose an "H" would be a bit difficult. :D