fast response please

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by MNmasterEXTERMINATOR, Jul 25, 2007.

1. MNmasterEXTERMINATOR

MNmasterEXTERMINATOR LawnSite Member

I just recieved a call from a local golf course who fired there greenskeeper. Now they need a licensed person to apply some fungicide because dollar spot and algae is eating up the tees and greens. I know many fungicides will work on teh dollar spot, but is there one that will work on both? What would be the best chemical? They need my bid by tomorrow, so fast response would be great. How many times do I need to apply the chemical? two times, three? I haven't ever applied fungicide before so I do not know what to expect. I told them about not watering so much and watering in early morning to correct algae, but they said that wasn't an option, they need it dead, and dead now. Is pegasus a good chemical that is the only one I found that will treat both conditions.
    thanks much for any help.

2. BigTom

BigTom LawnSite Member

I don't have the label in front of me, but I think Banner Maxx would be the way to go on that problem.

3. MnLefty

MnLefty LawnSite Senior Member

Zerotol gives a good knockdown on almost anything that is going active, including algae. Tank mix it with chlorothalonil (Pegasus, Daconil, Echo, Manicure). It may require two to three apps about a week apart depending on severity. They also need to cut back on the water and improve airflow to help with the algae problem.

What will be your method of application? Boom sprayer, walking??

4. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Hi dude -- I'm not an expert here, but I do know one. Call Tim G. at John Deere in Urbandale (Des Moines), IA. He recently left LESCO, and he really knows his stuff when it comes to 'goff' courses and their diseases.

5. MNmasterEXTERMINATOR

I haven't decided if I am going to hose it or boom spray.

6. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

No prob ---Tim knows his stuff, and he is honest. I trust him completely. I wish I could help, but Tim is an expert when it comes to golf courses. Best of luck dude, americanlawn.:usflag:

7. MnLefty

MnLefty LawnSite Senior Member

Should be booming it if you've got the capabilities. Try to get to 2gal/1000 volume wise to get sufficient coverage. Don't forget a tracking dye to see what's been sprayed. Blue works best on tees and greens.

I'd be very careful and watch my back in this situation. Just doing the application without being in control of other inputs (water, mowing, topdressing, etc) leaves you in a peculiar spot. The possibility exists (especially without a qualified supt on board) that somebody forgets to run irrigation for a couple nights, turf wilts and browns out and they point at you and say you smoked it with whatever you sprayed. Unlikely yes, possible yes. Know before hand exactly what is asked/expected of you, and make it clear you cannot guarantee results since you have no control over daily maintenance operations.

8. MNmasterEXTERMINATOR

That is good advice, thank you.

9. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

Manicure/Daconil @ 3 oz./M will clean up the dollar spot and give you 10-14 dyas control, or drop to 2 oz. and add 1/2 oz. Banner to get 14-21 days. Try to sell them on a fertilizer app. (be sure to use greens grade). This will also help check up the dollar spot, but only about 1/2 lb. N per month. Don't go crazy here with fert. as too much will bring on brown patch in this weather. The algae will need Mancozeb. This will dry it up, then it can be verticut out. They're usually overwatering if there's algae present. I have two golf courses I provide greens spraying for on a bi-weekly basis. I handle all fert./chemicals. They have they're own mow crews. I consult on maint. practices on each visit and am available 24/7 for any problems/questions they have. It has been a very nice add to my business. Last year I hand sprayed, but this past winter I bought a Smithco 21' boom sprayer and am getting better, more consistent results. PM me for my # if you want more specifics.

10. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Mancozeb will take out the algae (read the label for rate) especially with a little Dawn dishwashing liquid. Just make sure the Dawn is the LAST item added to the tank & leave some room for foaming!