Fast Straps? 1 or 2?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowinginva, Mar 7, 2008.

1. mowinginva

mowinginva LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys, I see most prefer fast straps over prolockers. I plan to buy some fast straps soon to secure our ZTR and walk behind. Just wondering how many I should buy per mower, 1 or 2? Thanks
  2. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

I use two on my Z, but often just fasten one if I'm just going a short distance in town. Neill
  3. js.lawn

js.lawn LawnSite Member

i have 2 for my z but only use 1 when going short dis but dont get cought
  4. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Never hurt to be a little safe, I would go with two especially for the ZTR. The walk behind I think could do with just one, but again better safe than sorry.
  5. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

In NY, the unit must be secured so that it cant move forward, backward or sideways. I would think with just one secured, the unit could still move at an angle, or more like an arc motion toward the side that is secured. Like others said, just dont get caught cheeting, it could be an expensive oops. (for the record, I was stopped this fall, could have gotten lots of tickets but was let off easy with fix-it tickets. Was warned that it wont be that easy the next time I get stopped)
  6. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

yeah, get one for every drive tire for every machine, or two per machine! we use them and theyr are great. very secre and fast. i never use them in short travel on residential roads, but longer hauls and on regular streets and highway they are a must.
  7. mowinginva

mowinginva LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the replies guys. It's a help.
  8. bladecutter582

bladecutter582 LawnSite Member

I'll just tag along

I saw your post and had a question about the FS.
    I'm in the process of rigging out my trailer and had ordered two sets of the FS last week form Mowparts.

Question for the ones who have had this system for awhile--- If you run over the wedge's over and over again won't this cause damage to a standard wooden floor that's 2" thick and have any worked loose.

9. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

Just bought 2 for my Quick 36...could of gotten away with using one....but better safe than sorry...makes me feel a whole lot better knowing my mower is fully secured.
  10. BulldogPS

BulldogPS LawnSite Member

We use E-track on the floors with D-rings that can be put anywhere. The E-track lets you strap down everything securely. We use four straps on our ZTRs and four on the walk behinds. Even running four straps on each mower we have had instances where one strap will break leaving you with three straps that will still keep it secure enough. You can drive like a maniac and not a thing moves. Little overkill but I paid good $ for my stuff and I'll be damned if I'm gonna let ignorance destroy it. Takes only a minute to strap and unstrap because of the E-track.
    Not too long ago a friend of mine use to use 2 straps to hold his Wright Stander in his enclosed trailer. One day a strap broke and as the mower rolled around in the trailer it unhooked the other strap and then proceeded to make a grand exit right through the side wall of his trailer and into the path of an oncoming truck. Now he needs a new mower and trailer. Funny thing is he still uses the trailer with a gapeing hole in the side, I could climb right in.

So strap your gear as much as you want, ain't no one gonna make fun of you for it.