Fast wear on tires - 7x14 Enclosed dual axle

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Jul 17, 2012.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Brand new trailer as of March, not a chance.

2. Potomac Lawns Inc.

Potomac Lawns Inc. LawnSite Senior Member

I also use the Akuret Brand in Load D as well and get about the same mileage. I run 65psi in mine

3. ParkWelding

ParkWelding LawnSite Member

Leaf spring suspension or torsion axle?

4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

Leaf spring.
    And yes I need to level out my trailer a little better. Couple inches off on my drop.
    Just saw today that my rear drivers side trailer tire is starting to show the belting. Gonna need to get new tires, either 2 (new bias) or all 4 radials. Anyone recommend long lasting brand?

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I use Carlisle radial trailer tires. Typically get 2 - years out of them. Trailer is pulled about 5 days/week.
    Trailer should be level when loaded.

6. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

all those things, and i actually had a trailer that went back to the dealer cuz we ruined tires so fast and found the axles where not put on straight!!!!!

just wanted to bring that up as we had it happen

my trailer is 22 ft, goes thru tires like i do food

7. ParkWelding

ParkWelding LawnSite Member

Been running my new Stealth 8.5x20' all season on the chinese Westlake 10ply factory tires. Loaded with 2 60" riders, 52" grandstand, push mower, 2 backpacks, 2 trimmers, tools, spare tires etc. Minimal tire wear. I just checked the tire pressures for the first time 2 weeks ago (factory nitrogen filled) and all 4 were within 2 pounds of the 80 PSI specified on tires.

I had pretty good luck with the same tires on my old Timberwolf 8.5x24' enclosed. I don't know why but they seem to hold up better than the Carlisle and Goodyear tires I had been using before. For less money.

Both trailers have Dexter torsion axles though.

8. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

check brakes on trailer or controller in truck--my gusy had the brake controller such that at low speeds it would lock up the tires in the back

9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

Yes will confirm this is ok. Thanks for the tip.

Oh, and today I replaced my four trailer tires with new Carlisle Radials, Load Rating D. About 100 bucks a tire. Replacing 4 month old tires, one down to the belts. Ridiculous if you ask me. I am attempting to start a warranty claim on the tires through the tire mfg. Guy at Discount Tire said two of them were on the verge of failing at any time. Unbelievable.

10. DA Quality Lawn & YS

Ha, already got an email back from the tire mfg (Lionshead and Triangle Tire) flatly denying my warranty claim. Go figure.

Guess I will have to do some name smudging on LS.