faster tree mounting ideas

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Mike M, May 29, 2008.

1. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

I've been using zip ties with the holes in them for attaching cable to trees, and was wondering if anyone does anything to save time, such as this idea I just had:

Lay out the cable, and pre-attach and cut several ties. Mount the fixture, and just go down the cable with the drill and stainless steel screws.

The job gets tedious when you have several downlights. I was practicing using the cutters in my left hand and drill with my right and screws in my teeth and juggling the ties, but I eventually dropped my drill (ack!). I like to work quickly, but I don't mind slowing a little to fit in the perfect grooves and shape of the trunk.

I'll also be getting the modular belt which James was recommending.

2. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

A belt would probably help, but I normally attach the fixture to the tree first then work my way down the tree with the same method you are mentioning. I've been using the zip ties with the hole for probably 7 years now, and I don't know of another (better) way to do it. As you know, it is very important to use stainless steel screws so you don't damage/poison the tree.

3. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

I use the zips, but I attatch them to the copper flex pipe I sleeve my wire through. I only need at the most 4-5 zips to accomplish what I need on small to medium sized trees.

4. Chris J

Hey Tim,
    What's the purpose of the copper tubing? I can understand protection at the base of the tree due to weed eaters, but what else?

5. Lite4

Mainly cosmetic. The copper will turn a nice brown color and will fade into the bark. I mainly do this on smaller to medium sized trees where the bark has not had sufficient time to begin to crack and fissure. It also makes it harder for kids to screw with your wire if it is protected in a metal sleeve until it is out of their reach.

6. Chris J

Cool idea.

7. Lite4

I will post some pics.

8. Venturewest

Venturewest LawnSite Senior Member

Something to hold the screw in all your zip tie holes would be nice also. I thought about using some kind of a retainer ring like a small o-ring or something. Have a bunch already made up.

That copper sounds really nice also. Although in Oklahoma you might have to watch out for copper thieves. They are pulling copper out of new construction around here.

9. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

On large calibre, mature, and slow growing species I use the Arrow T59 staple gun and the Stainless Steel T59 staples for wiring the trees. Fast, efficient, strong and effective, a real time saver.

Not so good on small calibre, young or fast growing species, unless you are prepared to re-staple on an annual basis (when you relamp) which is not really a big deal when you think of it. At about $0.04 per staple they are very cost effective too.

10. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

James, that has to be fast. I didn't know they made stainless steel staples!

I'm hiring an arborist to follow you around for a day.