Faster with 21"s???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnranger44, Apr 28, 2004.

1. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

Yesterday our 36" (beltdrive) WB broke down, and we had to do 9 lawns with only 3 21" mowers and 3 guys. We finished all 9 in about 3.5 hours, which is close to the amount of time it would take if we had the 36" with 2 21" mowers. Most of our lawns are small, and the only difference I could make was that 21" mowers can turn faster than a belt drive. Another remote, possible difference is that the grass was shorter than we usually mow it at.
    Should I feel like I wasted money on such a large piece of equipment, since we can be almost as productive with 3 21's? Would a hydro fix this problem?

2. gator-town

gator-town LawnSite Member
    from bfe

another remote possibility was that you worked faster knowing what you knew ... think about it .

3. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

I did quite well in math in college, so I'll take a stab. 21" vs 36"...hmmm, 15 inches less per pass...yeah, THAT's faster dude

4. grassrootsinab

grassrootsinab LawnSite Member
    from up here

I have a Deere 38" gear drive WB and 3 21" JS 63 mowers (3 speed Self Prop). On yards where there is alot of obstacles or only short, straight runs, using the 21" is actually faster. There is no contest on the big straight yards though. The 38" probably saves us 8-10 minutes. I have a couple that were taking 40-45 with 2 21" mowers that we are down to 30-35 with the 38 and one 21 inch.

5. AuburnGuy

AuburnGuy LawnSite Senior Member

Even if you could be as productive, there is still the fact that pushing a 21" is a lot more tiring than standing on a sulky behind a 36"

6. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Yes!

On our small subdivision lots the 21" Prolines Smoke any belt driven machine...& you're not Pushing they're SP....with all the turning & backing up you're better of w/21"s or Hydros!

suzuki.jpg

7. The Hokie Okie

The Hokie Okie LawnSite Member

those are uhhh............nice

8. jcr_17

jcr_17 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Fareway Lawncare,

In the picture you posted, the mower on the far right, what is the piping thing you have rigged up? Or does it come like that?

9. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

you asked if hte Hydros would make a difference. YES

10. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I use a Ferris 32 hydro. The problem with it is, if you run the same patterns each week, the soil will rut. So, you have to alter your pattern. But if you're doing that, your just compacting the entire lawn. I've recently started running the 21" Honda. There's no difference in time, really.

If there's lots of growth, the Ferris is clearly the faster machine. And if the property is big, where one can make long passes, the Ferris is faster.

As far the wider cutting swath, it's negated on small lawns because of the increased time it takes to turn a 180. But with thick growth, the Ferris is the only way to go.

Another thing: If you run your tires down the same path that your tires were in on the previous pass, you're giving up the width of the tire, which on my Ferris is probably 6". I try not to do it, but it's habit for me.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper