1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

fastest growing trees

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by LawnInOrder, Apr 27, 2007.

1. LawnInOrder

LawnInOrder LawnSite Senior Member

my dad wants some trees for our ny upstate house. We are in little falls which is 29a of th thurway. We get alot of rain so the ground is usually moist. He wants them for privacy, and they is not that expensive and fast growing. What would you guys recommend form the upstate region. thanks LawnInOrder
  2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Bambu..... 1 to 3 inches a day
  3. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Problem with fast growing is that means that they are fast dying. Stay away from "miracle trees", buy the biggest trees you can afford, that are hearty enough for your area. In your area I wood see what type of willow oaks or river oaks are available.
  4. EA Quinn

EA Quinn LawnSite Senior Member

Pinus strobus.....white pines.
  5. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

Metasequia glyptostrobedies (sp.) Dawn Redwoods they are hardy to your area and can grow 3 feet a year.
  6. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

White pines all the way!!
  7. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

If you are going to put in bamboo make sure that you and all your neighbors like bamboo. It is almost impossible to kill and spreads very aggressively. I never recommend bamboo because you can't contain it.
  8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I agree about the Bamboo, it is very invasive.
    Cupressocyparis Leylandii is one if it grows in your zone. There are many others.
  9. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

If Leland Cypress grows well in your area, they will be great. They grow fast and creates a great natural privacy fence.

Its my favorite for privacy.
  10. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

there are many clumping bamboo's you just need to choose the right variety.