Fastest patio install ?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

How long does it take from start to finish for your average patio?

I quoted a customer, of which is a long time lawn client, a 18 day install time for his patio, walkway, railings and pillars with 12v lighting. It would be a 2-3 man crew daily, 3 only if i fall behind or need the extra labor.

Another client of mine for lawn service, her yard backs up right to this guys back yard where i am proposing to put his patio that is 20' x 18' and a 30' walkway, 3 pillars, lights, 4' wide 3' tall steps from his back sliding door, the whole patio would be elevated 8" off the ground.

Long story short, i explained how what he and his wife are asking for in the 10k range is nearly impossible. They want to spend 20k or less for this patio and back yard vinyl fence install. There are over 175' worth of fence to install with 24 posts, two gates and a supplies cost of 6k+ alone.

His patio supplies costs are $7,500 alone, so after labor, he would be able to do either or, but not both patio and fence.

He tells me via email. that his neighbors patio was done in 1-2 days two years ago lol. Now her patio is a two layer patio, approximately 350+ sq ft, with a 45' walkway to her driveway around the side of the house.

If this company did this in even 5 days, im subbing out all of my work to them if the price is less than what i am going to make on the job :clapping:

2. Ramairfreak98ss

no ones done one in 2 days eh ? ;)

3. landvet

landvet LawnSite Member

No way, that patio wasn't done right if it was done in two days. Especially if there was a lot of cutting involved. From what you described, They probably wouldn't be that much over 20k. I have a similar situation, only my client has already had the fence installed and now they're really trying to beat me up on the patio costs; I'm not budgin! We've e-mailed 6-7 times and he really wants me to do the work, hell, I've already got 300-400.00 in design and onsite time and I haven't even gotten the job! I think a little haggling is to be expected, but when they get unrealistic it's frustrating. Anybody out there can do it cheaper, if he already knows your quality try to explain completely,all the costs involved. Good luck!

4. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

5. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

a small patio say around 12 x 16 should be able to finished in 2-3 day's larger patio's take anywhere between a week or two or longer. It really depends on how many workers, skill level materials, number of cuts and amount of excavating needed.

6. Ramairfreak98ss

I did find out that there was probably a minimum of 10 guys that did the patio "in 2 days" :/ I still cant see two of us doing the same work in 10 days though, if you figure 10 guys = 2 days or 2 guys=10 days, well maybe its close then.

That patio has a raised area with a built in step between the two, but again, its not just the patio, its the whole walkway too. I just have never seen ANY company in central Jersey go to a job for a patio, and be done in 2 days. Heck even the Hardscape only companies send out 4-5 guys and are there darn near a full month 5 days a week for a 30-40k patio. even at $30 an hour for labor, thats 800 hrs worth of work for $24k in labor alone. Not sure what you guys pay your employees or what you charge, but i dont work that cheap.

I never said it wasnt possible, but you'd either need a boatload of guys or didnt finish entirely in that span of 2 days. I think any more than 4 guys on these jobs and people start waiting around at times or get in the way. You can only have so many guys working in a smaller area at a given time.

Its not like 3 guys build the exterior wall, 3 grade/exc./backfill, 3 to lay block, 3 to prep... they cant all be working at the same moment.

7. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

As I always say "Rome could have been built in a day with the right amount of labor and my wife managing" :D

8. John Zaprala

John Zaprala LawnSite Senior Member

Some of the best hardscapers are in NJ (nods to McKee), I can name at least 3 companies in my area in PA that can lay 300 sq ft start to finish in 2.5 days. I bid 300 sq ft walkways for 2.5 days; however, our price per hour is much higher than a company who lays it in sayyyy 5 days. We run 3 man crews. They all have been with us for at least 5 years though and to this day amaze me with their skill and attention to detail. The secret is experienced labor and a good manager to lead them.

9. landvet

landvet LawnSite Member

Kootoo, are you talkin to me or Ramair?

10. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Are you able to actual start another job in that last .5 of a day? When ever i tried to bid jobs like that it always seemed almost impossible to make that .5 of a day count.

But anyways, i have not done a basic 300 sq ft patio or walk in a long time. Last year me and one inexperience guy did a 350 sq ft walk in 4 days. My experience crew could easily do it in 2.5 without sweating.