1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

fastest seed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by OwenS, Oct 22, 2004.

1. OwenS

OwenS LawnSite Member
    from Montana

I had to renovate a lawn after the septic system was changed, and I'm wondering if anyone has a good way to avoid having a muddy disaster until the spring. Something like a very fast germinating annual grass, etc. It would need to work over the next 3-5 weeks of Montana weather.

I just need a remedy until spring when I will re-seed the whole thing with local bluegrass blend.
  2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Don't know your weather but if it isn't at 32 or below yet Fescue will be up and started in 5-10 days.
  3. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I've had good luck this past summer in getting 100% bluegrass blend to germinate in 6 days. In other words, if the weather isn't too cold, forget the rye and just plant KBG.
  4. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Plant the area with a winter rye.
  5. grassworks

grassworks LawnSite Member

ditto on the winter rye.... Never seen fescue seed germinate with temps below 65 F
  6. We have used wheat in situations like that before.
  7. jphag

jphag LawnSite Member

Definately winter rye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  8. the fine fescue will germinate at the coldest temps of any of the desirable turfgrass! Proable would also include some winter rye.
    I generally use a mixture of fine fescue on turf areas over a drainfield. Would imagine its real late for seeding in montana, so increase seed rate by @ 25%!