1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fastest way to get the thatch off the lawn after dethaching

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Daner, May 25, 2006.

1. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

Now this is the way i have normally done this...was to fire up the bad azz 72" side discarge and go forward and reverse thus blowing it into one row
    WAHT HAVE YOU USED instead of the hand rake??
    Take note the lot that i,m thinking of is 5.5 acres:dancing:
  2. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

3. sgrprincees

sgrprincees LawnSite Member

I use a bagger, but I wish my 20hp 48" Toro had a little more power when I'm sucking up a bunch of thatch.
  4. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Front mount de-thatcher on tractor/ZTR with bagger. De-thatch and clean up all in one pass.
  5. TriplePLandscaping

TriplePLandscaping LawnSite Member

next season picking up a jrco 60" detatcher and got my grass catcher, should work pretty nice, all in one pass.
  6. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

Joel i think U have the best method... 2nd maybe the bp blower and 3rd is the way i do it...lol thanks for your input gang...any one else?? feel free:usflag: :canadaflag: :weightlifter:
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

For the real heavy thatch - like what comes up with a real thatch job (not the JRCO rake), a push blower is the way to go. It can push large piles to tarp up.
  8. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

We use a ZTR with a trac vac on it. Works perfect. Will never rake or blow again
  9. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

My high speed lawn sweeper...:headphones: :cool2: :weightlifter: :clapping: :dancing: :drinkup:
  10. P & L Turf

P & L Turf LawnSite Senior Member

I get one guy on the de-thatcher with about a 15 minute head start and then I come through with my Lazer with the UltraVac and suck it all up. The small jobs we'll just fire up the blowers and clean it up with them.