Fastest way to get up pine needles?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by benabarlow, Oct 15, 2004.

1. benabarlow

benabarlow LawnSite Member

Any one got some efficient ways to get rid of pine needles in and out of the grass?
    Thanks,
    Ben

2. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

Depends...what do you have for equipment. What is the total area. You can rake them...good physical labor. You can blow them...backpack blower or walk behind blower.You can use a dethatcher, attached to a walk behind with the basket on. You can use a ZTR with a collection system. You can use a walk behind lawn vac. I am not trying to be a smarta**, but more information is needed; what the area is like and what you have for equipment. Let us know, and we can help you better...JIM.

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Meg-mo Blades and a good bagger.

John

4. benabarlow

my equipment is a 2004 hustler 27 horse with bac vac system. i also have dethatcher and redmax 7000 blower 8hp blower as well. Raking is the last thing i want to do. its way to costly to rake. I think just vac and blowing is not doing a good enough job with out raking. hope you can help. thanks
    Ben

5. benabarlow

about those meg mos how easily would they warp if one of your employees scalps hard and bends the round part were blades attach. it seems it would be very $ to fix from time to time. I have gator blades now but i completely see how efficent the meg mo system could be . i'm very curious about them.
    Thanks
    Ben

6. jim dailey

Living in MA., I realize that Vermont is the "Pine Tree State." I am NOT familiar with the Meg-Mow System...but, what is meant by "bending the round part where blades attach?" Are you referring to the spindle? They are somewhat expensive to replace/repair. Cheaper if you do it yourself. Have you tried the ZTR w/dethatcher in fron and collection system in back. Go over it several times if you have to. Charge accordingly...JIM.

7. benabarlow

Thanks jim
    Yes the spindles. can you get a front dethatcher for hustler 60inch ztr. i have the bac vac for the ztr.

8. jim dailey

The spindles:ask at your dealer or look them up online. Is the machine still under warranty? Go to the JRCO site on line for the info about the dethatcher. I have a 48" JRCO dethatcher, and it works great. Helper uses it on 48" w/b, with me following on the Stander. We go one way, the 90 degrees to that on the way back. Works wonders. If I have to, the powered dethatcher is waiting in the wings. If you applied lime (pelletized) afterwards, to neutralize the acidity in the lawn from the pine needles, it helps a lot in the upcoming season. Chec the PH of the soil, first...JIM.

9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Most definately!

10. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Use a match :p Just kidding. Depends on the amount of needles. We had a huge pine tree in our back yard growing up and the fastest way to get them up was to just mow over em. All the little pine cones though didn't always make that possible. Didn't like hitting those. Sometimes we'd rake them up. At work we had the same type of trees and would usually just mow over them with the JD and vacuum them up.