Fastest way to trim shrubs and remove clippings

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by David's, Mar 28, 2005.

1. David's

David's LawnSite Member

OK Here's one for you: which way is faster
    1) rake back the mulch, trim shrubs, rake up clippings, replace mulch
    OR
    2) place tarp around shrub to lift clippings? Open to any other methods.
    Thanks

2. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

assuming we arent talking about any significant leaf removal rather just an end of winter cleanup, we have cut our spring cleanup time by 30 to 40% by raking debris onto tarps and loading into enclosed trlr ( can also work for open trlrs as long as its tied down and covered.

We used to bag or bundle this stuff which takes FOREEVER on a moderate sized spring cleanup. On a given day we "layer" the full tarps on top of each other in the trlr then pull them off at twp dump site .....enormous savings in time doing it this way. I cant believe how stupid I was to not use this approach from the git go.

3. Mowman29

Mowman29 LawnSite Member
    from OH

#2 works for me I had to trim shrubs twice last year because of all the rain we got. the first time it was in late may before I had my mulch down so I did #1 first. took longer. #2 I was done in 1/2 the time and mulch didn't get replaced. just touched up with the rake. you only had to pick the pile up one time to get into the truck.

4. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I just rake the trimmings into the lawn and mulch with the mower

5. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

We just prune, rake and tarp up the clippings (off the shrub and out from around the plant), and then blow the remaining clippings into a pile and pick 'em up.

6. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

we use option #2

we get a large tarp ( 40X20) and let the clippings drop in the tarp.

UNLESS we have not mulched yet. they we let them drop, rake it up and mulch over the little pieces you can't get up with the rake.

7. David's

David's LawnSite Member

Thanks Guys for all the input. I too have been using tarps, but just thought there might be a way I haven't thought of. Thanks again.