1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Fastrac 20/52 Starter - Clicks

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by kevanosd, Apr 29, 2013.

1. kevanosd

kevanosd LawnSite Member

I have a 2003 Hustler Fastrac 20/52 that has had starter issues for the past couple years. Sometimes it starts, other times it clicks. Right now, it will not start - just clicks sometimes, otherwise there's a hum from the relays.

I tried swapping the relays, but there is no change. I've found that there seems to have been issues for many others with the starter, and Hustler issued some kind of starter repair kit.

What is this? How does it fix the problem? Could this be the solution for my problem?

Kevanos

2. hustlermidwest

hustlermidwest LawnSite Senior Member

This is a SB we put out in 2006:
    Problem:
    Honda, Kohler, Kawasaki liquid cooled, and Cat Diesel engines will not crank occasionally
    when restarting at operating temperature. The starter will click but will not crank the engine
    when the ignition switch is in the start position and the engine is at operating temperature.
    The starter solenoid requires more voltage at the solenoid exciter wire when the engine is at
    operating temperature.

If this is what you think you're experiencing a kit number 107910 was developed to send more power to the solenoid.

Misalignment of the starter pinion to the flywheel will also give you issues like this, also a dead spot on the starter. This kit may not fix your issue but it's a good place to start.

Brian O