fastrack 18/48 Honda engine question

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by msjamato, Apr 16, 2007.

1. msjamato

msjamato LawnSite Member

I just bought a 18/48 fastrack w/Honda engine. My question is: The Honda engine says 18HP on the engine. The model is GVX610. On the Honda website it lists the GVX610 as 16.2HP. It lists the GVX620 as the 18HP engine. What the deal?

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

We certainly use the 18hp Honda engine.
    I am not sure about what the website says, I will look into it.

Pj

3. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Ok...
    Heres the deal....
    The gross hp on the engine is 18, the net hp is 16.2
    If you go to the site map link on the Honda Engine website http://www.honda-engines.com/sit.htm and look at the engine selections you will see the GVX610 listed as 18hp.
    When you go to the GVX610 page it lists net hp with a * next to it and below the specs the * is explained, this is what it says...

* The power rating of the engine indicated in this document is the net power output tested on a production engine for the engine model and measured in accordance with SAE J1349 at 3600 rpm . Mass production engines may vary from this value. Actual power output for the engine installed in the final machine will vary depending on numerous factors, including the operating speed of the engine in application, environmental conditions, maintenance and other variables.

4. msjamato

msjamato LawnSite Member

Thanks for the clarification!!

5. jneedham

jneedham LawnSite Member
    from 66118

Attached is the statement published by American Honda Motor Company regarding horsepower ratings.

Please contact me if you have any questions

Jim Needham
    Kansas City Power Products, Inc.

Attached Files:

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Thank you for the clarification Jim.
    Have a great weekend.

Pj