1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

fastrack or mini z

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by tim10034, Feb 11, 2006.

1. tim10034

tim10034 LawnSite Member

i am a home owner that has about an acre of lawn to cut....i live in Louisiana and the ground stays pretty moist...i'm looking at the 20 52 fastrack or mini z...the price difference is about $1600 between the two...i would like to make a good decision and buy a mower that i do not regret. do u think that buying the mini z is an excessive buy for me? ..which one should i buy..one of my concerns is that the tires on the fastrack will leave tracks or ruts in my yard ....also do u guys know what kind of rebates will be offered in march???
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

For a acre you really will do great with a 20/52 FasTrak, a Mini Z could be overkill.... are you mowing any slopes, ditches or hills?
    The tire size on the FasTrak is not going to cause rutting, unless your mowing in some really wet conditions all the time.
    Check back in March to see if and or what promo's will be running.

3. tim10034

tim10034 LawnSite Member

my property is basically flat with trees and shrubs....the mini z is a 2004 model with 3 hrs on it...if sell it to me for a little more then the fastrack i will seriously consider...the things that sway me away from the mini is the muffler is already looking rusted, there is rust on top of the hydraulic pumps with the bolts and a diamond shaped piece on top of the pump..aslo went to demo the unit it came with a 24 honda and i would start it up and let it warm alittle ..went to drive it and it just died on me..tried it three times with same result...could u tell me the msrp on the 2004 24 52 mini z? will hustler help me with the rust problem if i get that mower?? thanks
  4. tim10034

tim10034 LawnSite Member

aslo what kind of changes if any have been made to the mini z 2452 since 2004 ..also read that ppl have been having problems with that motor
  5. Winsurfer76

Winsurfer76 LawnSite Member

I have a Fastrak 20/52 that I bought for the same reasons you stated. I also live in south Louisiana and haven't noticed any problems with mowing. You just need to use good judgment when mowing an extra "wet" yard. These mowers are not the type you can easily unstick. (I found this out the hard way) I increased my yard size and now am mowing about 2.5 acres with ease. One thing for sure, whichever model you buy, you WILL enjoy mowing your yard.
  6. CottonPatch

CottonPatch LawnSite Member

My name is Rusty Arledge and I am the LA territory manager for B&B Distributing. We are the distributors for Hustler in LA and MS. You can personally e-mail me at ztr@cox.net and I will help you find the right fit for you. I live in Baton Rouge and will need to know where you are.
  7. tim10034

tim10034 LawnSite Member

my ground has some low spots that stay very wet until 3 days after it rains..will the bigger tires not get me stuck?

any problems with your mower winsurfer????I live near lafayette la any suggestions on a dealer?
  8. Winsurfer76

Winsurfer76 LawnSite Member

I have the same problem with low spots, but haven't had any problems mowing them. It only takes about 30 minutes to mow my acre, so I can wait a few days to let the yard dry.
    FYI, I bought my Fastrak from Southland Engine in Lafayette and have been very satisfied with their service. I have been very satisfied with my Fastrak. It's built like a tank (for the learning curve of operating it) and holds a ton of gas for long mowing sessions.
  9. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

Ther bigger tires will not help you if you get stuck. In fact the extra 200+ lbs of the MiniZ will increase your likely hood of getting stuck.

We have sold a bunch of 20/52 FasTraks and for an acre you'll be fine with that machine. I believe in your case the 24/52 MiniZ would be over kill.

If you insist on a MiniZ, look at the 19/44. Will be faster than the 20/52 FasTrak so the slightly smaller deck size won't effect your time to mow. And that 19HP Kawasaki is a GREAT engine.

Hope this helps!

Either way you can't go wrong!!
  10. tim10034

tim10034 LawnSite Member

thanks gautreaux's....the only reason i am even considering the mini is b/c its a new 24/52 2004 model...if they give me a great deal on it then i might purchase it...any changes from the 2004 models to date on the mini???