Fastrack Tire Issue

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by g_gunter, Aug 18, 2003.

1. g_gunter

g_gunter LawnSite Member

Hi,

Somehow a piece of jagged wire stuck through the sidewall of my right rear tire of my Fastrack. I have no idea how this could have happened as I don't have any trash or stuff in my lawn (so I thought) nor do I mow up close to anything with the right side (discharge) of my mower. Anyway, the sealant inside the tire seems to have worked so far (the tire is about 1/2 flat/full) however the hole is in the side wall (not tread) and I'm afraid I may have to buy a new tire.

My question is this: on the offchance that this can be repaired, are there any special precautions that I need to take into consideration where the factory sealant in the tire is concerned? Can I take the tire to a regular tire repair center or does the dealer have to look at it?

Thanks,

Greg

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Your tire may be able to be patched and then have a tube put in if needed also.
    You can have your dealer do this for you, or you may take it to any tire repair center that will work on lawn and garden/agriculture equipment tires.
    The repair center will need to know that there is sealant in there, all you need to do is tell them.

Hope this helps
    Pj

3. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

And when you need new tires, you may want to upgrade from the 18" diameter tires, to 20" tires with the rim same. I've done this to my "Timecutter" which is Toro's version of a fastrack, and the ride and tractability is greatly improved. The ride is smoother and gives a better cut.
    Pete

4. g_gunter

g_gunter LawnSite Member

mowerconsultant,

When I take the tire to a repair shop is there a way to go about putting the sealant in the tire like it was done at the factory? Do I need special sealant or can I use the WalMart stuff? How much of it would I need to add? There must a fair amount of it in the factory tire as it automatically sealed off the leak at mid-level in the side wall. I want it as close to factory as practical.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Greg

5. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Yes you can have it put back in, it is put in through the valve stem.
    Your tire repair center can do this also.
    We use a generic brand of tire sealant, similar to the slime brand.
    Depending on what brand you use, the application amount may differ.
    Here is a link to the slime site, you can check it out.

http://www.slime.com/lawngarden.html

Later
    Pj

6. jdnixboe

jdnixboe LawnSite Member

Mowerconsultant: What is your take on upgrading the Fastrak tires from 18" to 20"? I've considered doing that myself, but don't want to affect the level of the cut? Thanks

7. Doc Pete

They done the exact same upgrade with their SWB's. All you need to do is lower the reat deck pins to make up the increase in tire width.......... Try it, maybe Hustler will follow "your" lead and start putting the SWB rear combo on their Fastracks. One thing is for sure, they'd reduce their need to carry two types of tires and rims, which is more money in their pocket. Furthermore, they'd have a jump on the rest of the "homeowner Z" competition...........
    Pete

8. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I am a person that believes in using the mower as designed....
    That being said, I understand your desire to have a larger tire for better ride quality and traction......
    I am sure it can be done, and you will have to re-adjust your deck when it is all said and done...
    As far as the affects it may or may not have on your mowers drive system....that is where you may or may not have issues, I will forward this post to our engineering team that designed the FasTrak, and see what they have to say about it....and I will post back any thoughts or opinions they have on this subject.

I hate to sound like I am dancing around your question...but I am not sure that changing the tire size will affect your machines handling characteristics and drive system.

Pj

9. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Pete,
    Totally different machine and drive system...

Later
    Pj

10. Doc Pete

As I mentioned, the toro time cutter has the same IZT pump/motor combo as the fasttrack, in fact the fastrack's IZT's are a bit better, and I've already make the change on the toro and it's much better.