Fastrak 44" or new Mini-Fastrak 42"?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Generalg, May 7, 2008.

1. Generalg

Generalg LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Hello from a nearby town the Hustlers are made in. I don't think I have ever been this involved in looking for a mower.... but here goes.

Currently I'm using a Craftsman push mower (not even self propelled!:rolleyes:)
    Anyhow my yard of weeds/grass is about 1 acre. Looking/seriously considering purchasing a Hustler Fastrak or Mini Fastrak as I'm tired of mowing for about 3hrs + everytime I mow the yard....

With that in mind I have the chance to buy a used one year old Fastrak 44" with a 18HP Kohler for $xxx or just buy new mini fastrak 42" with Kohler for about $200 more than the 44" and the 42" would have the Kohler 17hp on it as well.

Any thoughts as to which route I should go? The 44" Fastrak does still have 3 years left on the warranty, so warranty would be the same as a new mini fastrak..... Either way I will be taking advantage of the 1.9% financing.

I like the extra 2" the 44 would give me but would have to modify my wood gate to allow fitment of the 44", not a big deal or deal breaker. My understanding from researching/reading is that the fastrak has better transmission, components over the mini. Is this enough to warrant it a better deal even if it is used?!? Does the fastrak cut better since it uses 3 blades vs. 2 on the mini?

Just can't decide if a used bigger Fastrak is better than a new mini fastrak. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I feel the wider frame of the 44 and the larger tires and engine on the FasTrak would make the choice easy for me, I would go with the FasTrak 44" unit.

3. Generalg

Generalg LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Thanks! Kinda what I thought. Going to pick up the 44" Fastrak this weekend.