Fastrak 52/20 winterization

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by bderks, Dec 20, 2004.

1. bderks

bderks LawnSite Member

Do you recommend filling both tanks and adding Sta-bil for winterization? I usually only use the main tank during the season (since I fill it via a 5gal can, no trailer available to take it to the station). I filled that one and have already added Sta-bil to for the winter, but I'm worried about condensation and other adverse effects of leaving one tank empty.

2. Bigjim810

Bigjim810 LawnSite Member

I live here in south Miss. and the winters do not really get bad down here, but I have had success with cranking and running all my equipment about every two or three weeks through the winter. Add the Sta-bil just in case you forget to crank and run. This has worked on mowers, weedeaters, and my emergency generator which probably gets run most infrequently. This crank and run is probably especially important on any two-cycle motors because of the oil and gas mixtuire. I usually pick a pretty day and make the rounds and crank everything and let it run. By the time I get everything running it is time to shut everything off as it takes about 10-15 minutes to make the rounds and start shutting everything down starting with first cranked. I know I will do this with the new "Z" mower I bought this past summer. I actually got it out and rode around the yard for a few minutes just to make sure the hydraulics got a little flow exercise. Besides, my wife will kill me and then divorce the dead body if anything happens to that mower!!!!!

3. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I would not be to worried about condensation.
    Make sure to put the correct amount of Stabil in the one tank and make sure you run the unit for a good period to insure the Stabil gets through the entire fuel system.