1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fastrak 54" Blade Removal

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by osueric27, Apr 19, 2012.

1. osueric27

osueric27 LawnSite Member

I just bought this mower last year at the end of the season. I'm due to sharpen the blades. The dealer told me it would take 5-7 days before they could get to it. I don't have the luxury of time as I am cutting twice a week.

He said he could do it tight away is I take them off. I can borrow an impact wrench , but I am a little apprehensive. I am sure getting them off is no problem, but when I go to put them back on how do I make sure I don't over tighten or under tighten. I've never really used an impact so just want to make sure I know what I am doing.

Also, are the stock blades o.k. or should I upgrade to some gators or some other recommendation? I cut 2.5 acres of tall fescue in Southern Indiana.

2. skychill

skychill LawnSite Member

Gator blades work nice with mulch kit. Not having the special tools to take blade off can be tricky, but I put in block of wood. MY low tech old fashion ways seem to work best for me.

(note i do not suggest using impact)

I suggest having two sets of gator blades.(min) that way you can get one set sharp why you still cutting grass.

How ever I do not suggest stacking blades with your mower.

my 3 sets of blades keep my fastrak going for over 6 years.

my two cents.. hope it helps