Fastrak 54 Mulch Kit,Blade, Flex Fork questions

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by hollowcd, Oct 9, 2007.

1. hollowcd

hollowcd LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Hi guys, I am new to this site and new to a Hustler Fastrak 54" w/ Kawasaki 21hp. So far I LOVE the mower. It is built well, cuts nice, and it beats the he!! out of the old rider. So far i have ordered the mulch kit and that is all. I wanted to know your opinions on what blades to use with the mulch kit, and wether to use the baffles or not. I have heard Gator Blades work well, and I have heard guy mention using doubles. Also, I wanted to see if anyone has had the chance to see if the flex forks make a difference on these 54" decks. I could see with a heavier machine like the 60's and 72's but I was a little skeptical on the smaller decks. I wondered if anyone has tried them both ways and seen much of a difference. Anyways, thanks for the help, glad to join the club!
    Cole

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I would suggest using the full mulch kit with the Gators or wavy style mulching blades.
    Flex Forks make a huge difference regardless of the deck size, I have used them on every mower we offer them for, they make a difference !!
    Best thing is to ride one with them and then go back to not having them, you will notice a difference instantly.

Pj

3. KIDDO

KIDDO LawnSite Member

I Have The 54in Fastrac And Added The Flex Forks. Made A Big Difference. Also I Did A Litlle Rigging Since The Springs Sometimes Bottom Out On The Seat Frame I Added A 1 Inch Spacer To The Bottom Of The Spring And It Added A Little Extra Bounce. Forks Are A Must

4. TCTop911

TCTop911 LawnSite Member

Also a new 21/54 owner, and love my new Fastrack. The wavy blades are the way to go with your mulch kit. These blades do have a high lift end on them for improved lift and distribution. The clippings are much finer and it seems to improve blowout from below. The Gators appear to be a real love/hate relationship. Most experts I have talked to said they are good with leaves, but don't deliver enough elsewhere for the added price. I ordered my Flex-forks today, so I'll let you know if they were worth the extra $...

5. JoeGuitar

JoeGuitar LawnSite Member
    from PA

+1 on the flex forks.

I have a 54/21 and just put them on before I last cut the lawn. Big difference! Now I wouldn't want to be without them.

Joe

6. hollowcd

hollowcd LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

How much are a set of wavy blades? I have the gators on now, and I am getting a decent amount of blow out. They do cut better than the stock blade. Also, where did you get your flex forks, I have been looking for a deal somewhere. My dealer wants like $225. thanks,
    Cole

7. KIDDO

KIDDO LawnSite Member

I paid 199.00 for mine but my dealer gave them to me at cost. 225.00 is probably the right deal thanks

8. TCTop911

TCTop911 LawnSite Member

The wavy blades were $10.40 each. The flex forks are $199. I get all my parts through Smitty's Lawn and Garden in Olathe, KS. Tom, the parts manager is a really good guy. He could probably get them shipped to you and you would still be $ ahead. Good luck.

9. TCTop911

TCTop911 LawnSite Member

Okay, gotta say... THE FLEX FORKS ARE THE ONLY WAY TO GO!! In reading the other posts, I was still skeptical that they could have that much of an impact on the ride. I WAS WRONG. (Don't tell my wife I admitted that!) :) I coughed up the $199 and put them on in about 10 minutes. The difference is overwhelming on how much softer the total ride is now. Get off the fence and add them to your machine guys. I guarantee you won't regret it. TC

10. mac91

mac91 LawnSite Member
    from NC

This is probably a stupid question, but how do you maintain a consistent deck height with the suspension in the flex forks? It seems like the deck would be moving with the forks?