FasTrak battery continues to go dead.

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by rbks50, Mar 19, 2005.

1. rbks50

rbks50 LawnSite Member

I purchased my Fastrak machine last summer. After a couple of weeks I started noticing that if the machine would sit for approximately 1-2 weeks the battery would completely discharge. At first I figured it was a bad battery so I purchased a new replacement. The problem didn't go away. In fact I've had to keep the battery on a trickle charge all winter in my shed until I could look into the problem further. Well I checked out the electrical system on the unit today and found that with the machine ignition turned off the battery had a constant discharge current of 8.5 milli amps dc. That doesn't seem like a lot of current draw but after 1-2 weeks that would account for a fully discharged battery. Especially figuring that this type of battery is quite a bit smaller AH rating than a normal car battery.
    I isolated the starter and control circuit leads and found that the current draw is coming from the chassis mounted 20A rectifier. I isolated it to the rectifier by using the clear plastic in-line plug assembly.
    Also, I talked with a co-worker, who owns the same exact model/brand of machine, and he is experiencing the same battery discharge problem.
    Is this a common issue with this machine or is the rectifier possibly bad??
    I wouldn't guess that it's a bad rectifier since the unit operates otherwise fine.
    If this is a normal issue with this machine I would think that Hustler should have incorporated something like a 12vdc starter solenoid, in-line with the positive or negative battery lead, which would have completely isolated the battery from the electrical system when the machine is turned off.
    Please respond with any helpful comments. Best regards. Ray.........

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

There is a update to take care of this, please call your dealer so he can take care of it for you.
    We found this to be happening on a limited # of units.

Pj

3. rbks50

rbks50 LawnSite Member

PJ. Thanks for the fast reply. I've already set up an appointment to drop the machine off to the dealer this week. I'll let you know the outcome.

Take care. Ray Banks............

4. trucke

trucke LawnSite Member

This is good to know. My 2003 Fastrac does the same thing. The dealer checked it last year but didn't find anything wrong. I'll give them a call to get it updated.

5. wel112

wel112 LawnSite Member

I also have the same battery problem with my Fastrac. I figured it was a bad battery (not covered by the warranty) so I've recharged that thing over and over again. I love the way this machine cuts, but I'm more than a little disappointed that Hustler did not do the "right thing" and let the owners know they might have a problem. Its too bad I had to stumble across this on the Internet to find out, and I do appreciate the information on this forum. But, I would have replaced that battery, only to find out the new one did the same thing. I will be talking to my dealer to get this remedied, is Hustler going to pick up the new battery too? And how many other Bulletins are out there that we should know about? Is there a link to view them from? :dizzy:

6. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Hustler did the "right thing" we updated our dealers to let them know there were some units out there with this problem, it was not all of them, and it was sporadic also, not every unit had a problem.
    Have your dealer contact the factory and they will advise on the situation, he can ask them for a coverage on a new battery.
    There are no link to bulletins.
    Use your dealer, that is why they are there for you, and why we only sell through authorized servicing dealers.

Pj

7. trucke

trucke LawnSite Member

My dealer asked me to bring in the battery for testing. Turns out the battery was bad. This battery had been replaced by Hustler before the unit was delivered to me. My dealer had replaced it with a Car Quest battery. Apparently they have had some problems with those batteries too, meaning not isolated to Hustler machines. My battery was beyond the one year warranty so I had the privilege of purchasing a new Interstate battery. I expect my problems are gone except for the start of season trickle charge.
    I must admit, I love my Hustler Fastrak. I'm no longer afraid to fertilize my lawn because I know my Hustler can handle the growth easily.