FasTrak End of Season Prep

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by JCR1709, Dec 10, 2007.

1. JCR1709

JCR1709 LawnSite Member

I've opted to fully fill the gas tank (only ever used one) with Stabilized Gasoline and run it to get the gas into the lines and carb vs. emptying the tank and carbs. Is this OK?

Also, Honda suggests to remove the spark plugs, add oil, crank until TDC and replace the plugs. I did this the first year, but didn't last year. The reason I am trying not to do this is I have the hardest time removing the spark plug closest to the front of the machine. It is nearly impossible to get at it at least with my tools. I eventually used a short 4" ratchet with a swivel and spark plug socket, and that was still difficult. When I did get it, I also felt like I was stripping the threads upon re-insertion of the plug which really scared me. The plug seems to have set back in and have had no problems with firing since. How necessary is the removal, oil, TDC, and re insertion on the Honda 20? Any advice on how to better access this problem plug short of removing the engine would also be appreciated. The storage time is usually about 4-5 months.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

As far as the fuel goes, as long as you add the correct amount of stabilizer to the amount of fuel, you will be ok, run it for a few minutes to get it completely in the system.
    As to the spark plug question, it is tight, real tight, I have found using the spark plug socket with the wrench head on it and using a wrench with the socket it removes much easier, as to putting it back in, I would due it by hand till you cant tighten it anymore, then snug it in with the socket and wrench.