fastrak engine ?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Hustlinfireman, May 5, 2006.

1. Hustlinfireman

Hustlinfireman LawnSite Member

Mowerconsultant,

the other day while mowing my mower engine blew up. I am going to replace the engine. But my question is can you dig around and find out what size shaft dimensions my B&S 17.5 els500 engine had so I can replace. I know it has been numerous years since you all put this motor on the fastrak. For your info this unit has over 500 hours on it and only messed up because the throttle body broke somewhere and it let the engine red line and blow before being able to shut it down. that sucks:confused:

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I don't have the specs here now, I will get them Monday am if not sooner, and post them for you.

3. Hustlinfireman

Hustlinfireman LawnSite Member

That would be great, thanks

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I don't have the crank size yet, but any dealer can get the information for you.
    Here is the model and spec.
    Model: ELS 500
    Spec: 31L7770138E1K

5. gps_jetskier

gps_jetskier LawnSite Senior Member

Wait a sec....thought all B&S had a governor on them? Why didn't it just hit the limiter? Even my little 3.5 ditch mowers have them.

gps-jetskier

6. TXLAWNBOY

TXLAWNBOY LawnSite Member

The B&S blew because they are junk, I have a 52" Fastrak w/the B&S, the 17.5hp blew at about 300 hrs. for me. I replaced it with a new one and I think it is getting ready the go w/450 hrs on it. I WILL NOT make the same mistake a third time, when the engine goes again I will put a Kohler or a Honda on it.

7. TXLAWNBOY

TXLAWNBOY LawnSite Member

I have a 52" Fastrak with the 17.5 hp B&S. For the record other than a few small things I am happy w/the machine. As for the engine, the B&S ELS series engines are junk. I am on the second one the first one went at about 300-350 hrs. The one on it now has about 400-450 hrs. and I think it is getting ready to go. When it does I am going to replace it w/a Honda or Kohler.

8. gps_jetskier

gps_jetskier LawnSite Senior Member

B&S in general are not junk. Might not be a Honda though either.

I have some 5hp B&S Quantums that have so many hours on them that I can't even count. They have been the little best engines (to me) that a person could ask for.

Sorry about your luck.

gps_jetskier

9. OSDOTF

OSDOTF LawnSite Member

I don't have the actual specs in front of me because I'm at home, but the 18hp Honda GXV610K1 engine used on both the 44" and 52" FasTrak is a "QAF" type. The 20hp GXV620K1 is also a "QAF". The 16hp GXV530 used on the 44" FasTrak is a "PXA" type.

If you want to show creativity by adapting an engine Hustler doesn't use on this model, a Honda Power Equipment dealer should be able to provide you with crankshaft dimensions of these types. Or, you can send for a Honda General Purpose engine brochure on this site (don't bother downloading the owner's manual because it doesn't have dimensions of the pto shaft):

http://www.honda-engines.com/gxv610.htm#