Fastrak HD, Exmark, or Tiger CUB?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by k9rex, May 14, 2008.

1. k9rex

k9rex LawnSite Member

I am buying a new zero turn for my 1.5 acre hilly, obstacle laden land. I have quotes for a 08 Fastrak 48 SD, an 07 Exmark LCT 48, and an 07 Tiger CUB 48. The details are:
    2008 Fastrak SD, 48 deck, 23hp kaw, 2 bag collection system with blower.
    $900 factory rebate on machine. Total price $6800.
    2007 Exmark LCT, 48 deck, 18 B&S Vanguard, collection system with blower.
    Total price $6800 (same dealer as Hustler)
    2007 Tiger CUB, 48 deck, 26hp Brigs ELS twin, dump bag
    Total price $6300. (different dealer)
    I love SCAG but I am also somewhat charmed by the Fastrak SD. The exmark is also a good machine but I am leaning towards the other two. Which one should I go for? Any help would be great.

2. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

Well personally I love my scag but the other one is good as well. Hustler is not my favorite the decks are not up to par with the awesome velocity on the scag or the ultracut on the exmark. Now don't get me wrong hustler makes a good mower just not for me. The scag is so durable though I have hit covered up stumps and backed up and mowed the rest. I have mowed 2 foot tall grass and have made night and day differences on yard with my machine. sounds to me like you got a great price on it. Is the dealer good for the scag?
  3. k9rex

k9rex LawnSite Member

Thanks TandM,

The SCAG dealer seems to be ok. The other dealer (hustler & exmark) is great. He has a good reputation and professional atmosphere at the shop. The SCAG dealer is considerably smaller and is more of a small engine repair shop. Both shops are within 30 miles of my land so travel time is not really an issue. The hustler dealer also sells SCAGs and he is partial to the Hustler line. First I heard of this. He said that he believes that Hustler is a better machine. I was under the impression that SCAGs are the cadillacs. The SCAG dealer thought that Hustler Fastraks were only a small step up from the Gravely/Ariens XL line. He was steering me more toward these machines for my residential application and the price difference was about $1500. Just confused me more.

The quotes for the Hustler and Exmark are cash buy only. He knocked about $300 off the price for cash. The SCAG dealer is offering that Sheffield financing deal of 36 months no interest. Free money definitely interests me but I could pay cash if I had to. The collections systems for the Fastrak and LCT are about $1300 units. The dump bag on the SCAG is that side bag. I understand that they still hold alot, although I have never used one. I know it is a lot simpler than the collection system, and not having to worry about more components (belt, blower, etc.) is also attractive. I am making a decision by tomorrow and I am firmly planted in mid-air. I think I'd be happy with either choice but would like to make an informed decision. Thanks for your help.
  4. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

eXmark CT is great for home use. Only thing bad about them is the Bull and Sh** (Aka Briggs and Stratton) motor, if you can get a used machine with a Kohler that would be better.