FasTrak Hydro Service

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by cranesrule, Feb 6, 2008.

1. cranesrule

cranesrule LawnSite Member

Guys,

I would like some opinions about my first hydro service on an 06 20/52 Fastrak. I have had the machine since May 31, 2006 so it has a season and a half of use. Right at 40 hours. The reccomendation is 2 years/200 hours for the first service. I had planned on doing it in a few weeks, before the start of season three, but I'm thinking that maybe it's a waste of money and I'm doing it too soon. When you consider the cost of two filter kits and a 5qt jug of Mobil 1, it's not a cheap service. If it's needed, I'm on board but I'm wondering if I should wait until next year.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I would wait until June 1st myself.
    If you think about it, once every 2 years isnt a big expense and you will have confidence in the hydros knowing it was done at the right intervals.

3. cranesrule

Thanks PJ.

I have no problem with the cost, as I am very picky about my equipment anyway. I was just thinking that my hours were awfully low in relation to the time frame and maybe I should wait. I'll take your advice and go with the two year interval.

4. tezzy

tezzy LawnSite Member

Took my FasTrak in to dealer to get hydro fluid changed at about 190 hours. My dealer talked me out of getting it changed. He told me he had been in this business for umpteen years and he would not recommend to change the hydro fluid. He said anytime you open up the system you risk introducing contaminants into the system and to leave it sealed. He stated he has seen more problems after it was opened up than there was with not changing it. I was there to spend money with him and he basically said it wasn't necessary. I asked about the warranty and he stated that it wouldn't affect it. Since I will be returning to this dealer if I need warranty work I thought he should know what he is talking about. Any opinions?

5. cranesrule

I am by no means an expert, but I can't go along with what your dealer is saying. I would think Hydro Gear would know what is best for your transmissions. At 190hrs, you will be taking contaminants OUT of the system by changing the fluid, and as long as you don't do anything stupid I don't see how you could risk contaminating the system during a change. Sure, your fluid might last damn near forever, but wouldn't it be better to have fresh, clean synthetic in there?

6. JCR1709

JCR1709 LawnSite Member

I did my own IZT Fluid/Filter change at 2 years as the manual states, homeowner use, probably less than 50 hours. A past topic of discussion on the Fastraks was that earlier models had sealed hydros and were prone to failure due to buildup of particles, etc. so certainly I feel good about having the opportunity to service the IZT's.

I followed the advice of some other posters on this subject and went with Mobil 15W-50 and new filters that come with magnetic plugs. One poster found that his hydros operated at a 15 degree f. lower temperature with the Mobil 1 so that gives me a little comfort being that my yard is alot of hill that gives the hydros a workout.

Upon changing the fluid and filters I found that the existing filters were totally clean, no particles anywhere. I did replace them with new ones at $28 each side, however, being frugal, I saved the older ones for maybe a future use.

I did find however that the side plugs that came stock with the unit were not magnetic . The plugs with the new filters were indeed magnetic, and perhaps an improvement to catch particles.

Being that the drain plugs for the IZT's are on the bottom, there is quite the opportunity for built up dirt and mud to get into those motors upon removing and replacing. I spent about 10 minutes or more cleaning the underside around these plugs prior to removing them.

Still deciding if I'll do this service after another 2 years, or base it more on hours of usage which in the manual states 200 hours or 2 years. It would take me about 7 years to hit the 200 hour usage!