Fastrak or Lazer CT?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by MarkD, Mar 2, 2006.

1. MarkD

MarkD LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I'm going to be purchasing either a Fastrak or Lazer CT for cutting 2 acres once a week. Just for my use, no commercial use. Relatively flat lawn.

I'm torn between the Fastrak and Lazer CT. I like both units but just can't seem to find a big enough advantage for one over the other. I can get 4" more deck and a better engine (for same money) with the Fastrak but a better transmission (separate pumps, drive units, better specs) with the Lazer CT.

This is my first ZTR so I would appreciate any thoughts. I realize both are very good units. I have great dealers for both nearby so I'm willing to go either way.

Thanks,

Mark

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

2 acres and no commercial use? I see no need to buy anything but a Hustler FasTrak, like you mentioned, better engine, and a wider cut.
    The Hydro Gear IZT's are a great hydro option in a mower and are of the design that will be a major innovation in future ZTR's.
    we have been using them for over 4 years with very little problems.
    Look at your warranty... 4 years on the FasTrak, life time on the frame and leading edge of the deck also.

Pj

3. MarkD

MarkD LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I am leaning toward the Fastrak as it seems ideally suited for what I need.

I like the idea of getting a Honda engine.

What type of bearings does the Fastrak use for the wheels? Ball bearings? Tapered roller bearings?

Also what is the required service and intervals for the IZT transmission in the fastrak? The thing I'm most worried about is that IZT transmission. I know, from all available facts I need not worry about it.

Thanks for the info.

Mark

4. SIE

SIE LawnSite Member

At our dealership, we have virtually nil IZT warranty issues. Far fewer than pump/wheel motor warranties. For a homeowner the Fastrak is , in my opinion, the greatest value on the market today.

5. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

The bearings in the front wheels are a caged roller bearing that needs to be greased every 50 hours.
    The IZT hydro filter and fluid is to be changed every 200 hours or 2 years, which ever comes first.
    [​IMG]

6. feistycapn

feistycapn LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

Which IZT is on the Fastrak? Is it the ZT2800? I believe this is the only one with a spin on hydro filter and the others just have internal screens?

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

The FasTrak uses the IZT series transaxles not the ZT series (the ZT's have the spin on filter), and has a charge pump and internal “screen” type filter.
    These are 2 different series, as I think you are aware of.

Pj