1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Fastrak or SD

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by LawnPro88, Jan 9, 2011.

1. LawnPro88

LawnPro88 LawnSite Member

I'm trying to find out if there are any differences between the decks on the Fastrak 48 or FT Super Duty 48; such as depth, baffling, or size of chute opening. I'm down to deciding between these two but not sure if the extra features on the SD are worth the extra $1,000. Thanks for your input.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

No difference in the deck depth or discharge opening, the SD does have steel pulleys and better Fusion brand blades.

Pj

3. Steve P

Steve P LawnSite Member

PJ,

I am in the exact same boat. Down to deciding between a 48" Fastrak vs. SD.

I want a mower that is going to last me 20+ years mowing 1 1/2 acres once week, 7 months/year.

My concerns:
    I don't mind changing oil and filters and belts as needed. That's normal maint. What I do NOT want is a mower that every 4 years needs pulleys replaced and etc.

My main concerns are the much small engine on the Fastrak. Is 19hp on a 48" ZTR large enough for my 1/week mowing of 1 1/2 acres?

Regarding the steel pulleys, what's on the regular Fastrak? Aluminum? Are they going to hold up?

I am 51 years old and plan on cutting grass for AT LEAST 25 more years. Is the Fastrak going to get the job done over that length of time or would I better off with the SD?

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

19hp on a 48 for weekly mowing of the property size your explaining is going to be fine.
    The FasTrak deck has plastic type tensioner and running idlers / pulleys, such as what cars have been using for 20 years, they hold of good for home use.
    Both units will last a long time as long as they are maintained properly, I would feel confident with either for the size property you are mowing.

Pj