1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

FasTrak question

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by jeffk84, Aug 16, 2004.

1. jeffk84

jeffk84 LawnSite Member

I am going to demo a FasTrak 20/52 this week, which is to be used solely for my 1.2 acre lot. I've read a few posts where it was mentioned that the mower is leaving a strip of uncut grass. This really concerns me, has it been an issue for many owners of this mower?

Also, I am also considering an ExMark CT 18/48 for about the same price. I've heard good things about ExMark, I'm not as familiar with Hustler, why should I pick the FasTrak over the CT?

2. dippyduck

dippyduck LawnSite Member

Last month I purchased a Fastrack 20/52. I had my dealer install Hustler highlift blades. Thus far the quality of cut has been excellent. Two obvious differences between the CT and Fastrack.
    1. Larger Deck.
    2. 20 horsepower Honda verses 18 horsepower Kohler.

Before purchasing my Fastrack I paid to have a commercial company mow my lawn (they used an Exmark). I decided to mow my own lawn due to the poor job that I was paying big bucks for. My neighbors on each side of my house still use the same company.

After each mowing I notice that my lawn looks significantly better then my neighbors yards (cut with Exmark). While other factors may come into play, ie: sharpness of blade, mower maintence, mowing speed, etc, I am satisfied with my Fastrack.
  3. cdolor

cdolor LawnSite Member

Hi Jeff,
    This year I bought a Fastrak 20/52 and couldn't be happier. This thing is fast and cut quality is excellent. I sharpen my blades about every 10 hours (it's easy to do) and have never had any problems with uncut grass. My machine has about 40 hours on it now. I am doing slightly more acreage (about 4.5) because my father-in-law has had some medical problems, so mine is getting a good workout. Next year it should be just my yard (2 acres).

One piece of advice is to get the spring kit. It makes the ride much smoother if you have any roughness to your yard. Keeping your rear tires at 10 PSI and front at 8 PSI makes for a smooth ride.

As for the ExMark, I'd say test them both. I did and found the Hustler to be a nicer machine. Also nicer than Toro, John Deere, and Cub Cadet.

Go Hustler you won't be sorry,
  4. lawnrangeralaska

lawnrangeralaska LawnSite Senior Member

I own a fastrak 44" 18hp honda! Its a 04 mower. I have the humbolt vacuum bagger and now i have double blades on it and a striping kit. This this has never cut grass good. It will always leave some stray blades. And since it has the bagger, the right blade will not cut the grass at all. it just sucks a$$. I use this mower everyday 5 days a week 8 hours a day for my lawn business. i have 105 hours on it now. It will cut nice when the lawn is dry and or isnt too high/thick. But other then that this mower is really tight. Its super easy to operate and handle. I bet this mower is excellent with out a blower bagger.
  5. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

You have a residential estate mower, meant for home use on a single property, not 8 hours a day cutting or 5 days a week.
    If you are experiencing a cut quality issue there are several things that could be causing it, blade speed, engine speed, belt tension, blade sharpness, deck pitch and several other items.
    I suggest taking it to your dealer to have them take a look at what may be causing your problem.

6. Mindless

Mindless LawnSite Member

I own a 20/52 F/T, May 2004 production date and the cut quality is fantastic. Cut quality is the same with either mulch or standard blade. Much of my property is sloped and the cut is still even. The mower can easily whack off 3" of tall fescue and mulch it with no problem.

Just this past week, northern VA received plenty of rain. My lawn was at it's thickest for the season. Installed the Humboldt Two Bag Whirlwind Rear Catcher (includes blower). Grass was about 5-7" in length. Cut off 3" with rear bagger...bagger/blower performed flawlessly. Attached 40" dethatcher to rear of F/T and ran it over the lawn. Set deck height to 2.75" (close to scalping the turf...next time will set at 3") and cut grass/bagged thatch without hesitation. As a note...the 5" round flexible hose from the blower to the rear bagger is clear and I was able to see the grass clippings flow through the hose. Blower kicks grass through the hose and not once did it clog. The Humboldt Rear Bagging System is built much like Hustler products...very heavy duty in my opinion.

As you can tell, I'm satisfied with results and the equipment. If you have any questions for me, let me know.
  7. Huskerville

Huskerville LawnSite Member

I just purchased a 20/52 for my 3 acres here in Gretna and it does an amazing job. The cut is like a golf course, plenty of power, and handles just great. The dealer in town let me demo one and I bought one that day. Use to take me 6 hours now I am at 2 hours makes the whole family happy. I am glad to be a part of the Hustler family. You will be happy with one.
  8. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Hey !! another member of the family ! welcome !
    We need to have a family reunion someday... lots of happy Hustler owners across this great country of ours !

9. wrightg4

wrightg4 LawnSite Member

Regarding the Humboldt Whirlwind catcher for the Fastrak:

How difficult is it to install and remove the unit? I've got two lots I mow. One is sodded and the grass is so thick, that mulching doesn't get it. I've decided that bagging is my only alternative.

The other lot is much thinner, so bagging is not necessary. In fact, the bag would probably pick up more sand than clippings.

Ideally I need a bagging system that can be quickly installed and removed, preferably without tools.

Any recommendations?
  10. Mindless

Mindless LawnSite Member

Attention wrightg4,

In answer to your question...you'll need to use common hand tools to remove the blower, injection chute and spindle pulley in order to completely remove bagging system from mower's deck. Better solution is to leave the aforementioned in place, remove rear bags and cut grass that way.

For further information, contact Humboldt Mfg/402-397-1154 and speak to Ron. Ron is Humboldt's Engineer.

If you do decide to buy their bagging system, I think you'll find buying direct from Humboldt is your best price...$1150.00 for the bagging system and shipping for the F/T.