Fastrak SD 42"

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by TPS, May 2, 2008.

1. TPS

TPS LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Anyone have any experience with this mower? It comes with the 19 HP kawi. I was trying to decide between this and the 48" SD. However, this will fit all my gates as well as next to my current 32" on my trailer. Other then deck size and HP and other differences from the 42" to 48"?

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The 42" is a excellent mower, great seller for us along with its smaller counterpart the 36", these 2 mowers are built on a narrow tractor frame, so we can get the smaller decks on them and also so they can fit through smaller gates.
    The 48 and 54 Super Duties are built on a wider frame for the wider decks and more ground stability.
    Both mower families are great units and you will be happy with either one.
    The 48 and 54 units do come with more hp if you are looking for it as you are aware.
    More fuel capacity also on the 48 and 54 units.

Pj

3. TPS

from NJ

Well it will be used mostly on flat residential properties. So I'm not sure the HP will matter. I know it will fit through all the gates to. The 48 wont. Like I said the 42" will fit next to my current 32" so if I expand next year and need to add a larger Z, I will be able to fit all 3 on there. Thanks for the reply.

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Sounds like your on the right track with your thinking.

5. NOOB

NOOB LawnSite Member

I have th 42" SD WOW I love it upgraded to the flex forks its like riding in a Bentley lol but serious Great mower!!

6. TPS

from NJ

NOOB I assume you have the 19 HP Kawi, ever feel you need more?

7. NOOB

NOOB LawnSite Member

ALWAYS MORE lol no actually no I really bought mine so I can get through gates but there is no need for more power that 19 on that 42"

8. TPS

from NJ

Awesome, thanks. Im hopimg for residentials all under a half acre with fenced back yards, it will be perfect.

9. brandonb

brandonb LawnSite Member

I don't have an SD, but I have a MFT 42". I use it on a half acre with quite a bit of landscaping, swing set, and a fenced back yard. Sometimes I feel like the mower is a bit of overkill (I know I could push mow, but my mowing time would at least double, so I get over it pretty quick when I think about it), but it still takes me about 30-40 minutes or so to mow and then I have to spend about the same time trimming and blowing. This time of year, I still run over the yard in a criss cross pattern to get a good clean cut. My yard is extremely lush right now. I am mowing at 4" and only have time to cut once a week so I am cutting aprox 2" off or more at a time and I mulch. The finished product looks fantastic. With all that being said, I think you would be very happy with the SD. I also think you would be very happy with the regular MFT, as I am. I have the Kohler engine and have no complaints - has plenty of power and starts up on the first turn of the key.

10. TPS

from NJ

Any pictures of the lawn after you mulch? Ill most likely be bagging, but it would be nice to be able to mulch.