Fastrak SD 48 vs 54 Price or Scag Freedom Z

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by mjlepak, Apr 2, 2008.

1. mjlepak

mjlepak LawnSite Member

Hey all great information here. I am very close to purchasing a new ZTR and am leaning towards the Fastrak SD 48. I really want the 54 inch version but my local dealer is quoting like $1200 more for the bigger cut and motor.

Does anyone know why there is such a large difference between the machines for such little differences?

Also, I am looking at the Scag Freedom Z but like I said currently am leaning toward the Fastrak. Any opinions out there would be appreciated.

I will be cutting about 2 manicured acres of bermuda on flat surfaces once a week (maybe more). We have a fair amount of trees but nothing that the 48 or 54 cannot manuever through. Also, my lawn is soggy a fair amount of the time due to a large family and a septic that sprinkles the lawn as well as a large in ground swimming pool and a full yard sprinkler system.

I do plan on mulching. Right now I am using a JD LT160 and can't stand getting on it. It is no fun to mow with and takes to long hence the reason for the switch to the ZTR.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The 48 is on special promo and the 54 is not, that is why there is such a price difference.
    Look closely at both mowers your considering, compare feature for feature and also look at construction and materials used.
    Both are top notch units, but you will find the Hustler to edge out the Scag in my opinion.
    Look at the deck lifts and how you adjust the cutting height and how easy it is on the Hustler.
    If you can drive them both do so, there again, Hustler wins for smoothness and ease of lever operation.
    We have been building a premium residential ztr since 2002, we are among the best of the best and after you drive one you will see why.

Pj

3. blackandgold

blackandgold LawnSite Senior Member

Well put PJ.

Here is my opinion on why the Hustler would be your better choice:

Patented Integrated Parking brakes
    Site Guages in Fuel Tanks
    Lifetime Warranty of Frame
    Lifetime Warranty on the Leading Edge of the Deck
    3yr warranty on spindle bearings
    3yr warranty on front fork bearings
    Engine is placed sideways for easier serviceability
    We promote the Honda & Kawasaki twin cyllinder engines
    Lower seat height, so it will better on hills and slopes
    Easier to operate deck lift system
    Optional Flex Forks for improved operater comfort
    Automotive style wire harness keeps moisture and dirt out
    Two seperate fuel tanks. With one tank, when you're out...you're out
    I'm a Hawkeye Fan, so yellow works better in the neigborhood than orange.
    Hustler has 44 years experience building ZTR mowers.