FasTrak SD or Mini Z?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by PWN, Mar 24, 2008.

1. PWN

PWN LawnSite Member

This is my first post, and let me tell you I have been searching these forums up and down for the last few weeks!! Tons of info here. Anyway, I am looking at buying my first ZTR this year, and have narrowed it down to 2 mowers....I think..lol. My wife and I are building a new house on 4 acres, and are looking for a new mower that will save us some time, and last us a Long time. By the time you take out the house, my shop, driveway, and trees, I figure I will be mowing about 3 acres.

THe mowers I have decided on: (from the MSRP sticky)

1. FasTrak Super Duty 25HP Kaw 54" STD FSD25KAW54STA (928382) $6,999

2. Hustler Mini Z, 24HP Honda / 52", STD seat. HMZ24HON52STA (927251) $9,049

Hustler Mini Z 52" Promotional Pricing:
    927236 (HMZ19KAW52) $ 6,499
    927491 (HMZ20KOH52) $ 6,599

With that said, Here is what I am thinking about. Basically Motor size, and Hyd. Pumps. I like that the mini-z has seperate hyd pumps & motors. And from what I have found, I can get the Mini-Z cheaper than the FTSD with promotional pricing, but I have to settle for a 20hp KOH.

Do I want to settle for the 20hp KOH, but have a machine with dual hyd. pumps & motors, or get a FTSD w/25hp KAW with the ZT2800?

Right now, I am leaning more to the FTSD.

Thanks
    Phillip

2. PWN

PWN LawnSite Member

Well I cant find a dealer in my area that is participating in the promotional pricing, so I guess I will be looking closer at the Super Duty.

Any thoughts?

3. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

E-mail me your information and your zip code, I am sure we can find a dealer to take care of you.
    The Super Duty or the Mini Z will both easily tackle the 3 acres your talking about.

Pj

4. GLM441

GLM441 LawnSite Member

I was going to post the same question. In my case, I know its overkill but for the price why not. What did you decide to do?

5. PWN

PWN LawnSite Member

I havent bought one yet. Still undecided!

6. Jeffsun21

Jeffsun21 LawnSite Member

Could someone explain more about the difference of Dual pump drive and the ZT2800 The higher end units all have pumps .

7. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The Mini Z 52" unit uses 2 pumps and 2 wheel motors to drive the mower, you control each side (set of pump and wheel motor)
    The FasTraks and SD's use a single integrated drive per side, this integrated unit has the pump built into a gear housing that drives the wheel.
    You still have independent control for each side.

Pj