Fastrak SD or more

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by rwreuter, Sep 26, 2010.

1. rwreuter

rwreuter LawnSite Member

I have been SERIOUSLY looking into purchasing the Hustler Fastrak SD 54.
    Here is what I have:

6.5 acres of land, 4 acres of which is pasture, which would need to be mowed every other month and rest is or will be nice grass.

My problem is will this SuperDuty be enough to mow all of it and last for MANY years? Of course the pasture that I mow will have about 1 foot tall field grass and I am not sure if this mower can do that without hesitation.

Or, do I need to upgrade to the Super Z? I don't want to buy what I don't need and I surely don't want to buy something that will not do the job and make be unhappy. Money is always an option but if I have to buy bigger then I will.

If you all don't think the SuperDuty or the Super Z will do the job easily (I mean, would it be more than enough of a machine to do it) then I will make due until it is paid for and then buy a large tractor with a PTO and run a bush hog over the four acres.

BTW, the land is flat and relatively few trees. It currently takes me around 4 hours to mow the 2 acres, which sucks. The ground is a little rough because of the construction equipment which built the house. It will be eventually all tilled and smoothed out.

Thanks for your advice,

Rob

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The 2.5 acres is fine for the FasTrak SD, the 4 acres of field grass 1 foot tall is my concern here, it will be working hard to do this once a month.
    If your budget allows I would go with a Hustler Z or Super Z, they have a deeper heavier duty deck and will handle the field cutting much better.
    Go with as much hp you can afford on the deck size of your choice.

Pj

3. rwreuter

rwreuter LawnSite Member

Thanks for you reply, I certainly appreciate your advice. I have a question about the reason for going with the Hustler Z or Super Z. My concern would have been the drive train (hydraulic motors), but you said the reason you would go with the Z is because of the deck.

Can you clarify for me, I don't understand how the "deck" would handle it better. Or perhaps I just don't know what the "deck" is.

If it wasn't for the deck, would the hydraulic drive train withstand that kind of wear and tear? I am trying to avoid buying a large tractor with a bushhog to do the pasture, I am looking for a ztr mower that will do this job and will last YEARS and not give me problems.

v/r

Rob

4. rwreuter

rwreuter LawnSite Member

Also can you clear up another thing. I have been talking to some dealers and they are saying the ALOT of the ZTR product lines are changing, both residential and commercial. Things like the seats, motors (because of emissions), pumps, decks and such. Can you shed some light on this?

They have also said that some lines are going away for good. Will the Fastrak SD line be getting a significant change.

I guess what I am getting at, I know at the end of the year is a good time to buy because dealers are trying to dump their year end models to make room for the new ones, are the improvements significant enough in the SD and Z lines that I should wait?

I know the current product that you sell is very good, but if the improvements will make a great deal of difference then the wise thing to do would be to wait.

v/r

Rob

5. rwreuter

rwreuter LawnSite Member

Sorry for all the questions...if it is any consolation I am going to buy a Hustler ZTR.

Anyways, what is the difference between the Kawasaki 25 HP engine and the Honda GXV630 engine.

I can't really find any product information about the GXV630, though I did notice in many pictures that the SD54 commonly had the Honda installed. It doesn't seem to have that remote air filter. Correct me if I am wrong.....am just trying to make an informed decision.

v/r

Rob

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

The Hustler Z and Super Z use a deeper different design deck, they are designed to handle the taller growth better.
    As long as your mowing flat ground and sticking to what you have explained here the Hustler Z and Super Z drive systems will be fine, the Super Z is just faster.

Pj

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

The FasTrak SD line will be changing in production after the first of the year due to emissions regulations, it will get newer style less gallons fuel tanks with vapor and raw fuel recovers systems.
    The Hustler Z is being replaced by the X-One with the same situation on the fuel tanks, it will get a new deck, seat and a slightly different frame set up.
    The engines will also change to approved engines per the EPA.
    It is true that many manufacturers are changing product line ups do to the EPA.

Pj

8. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Both are great engines, its a personal preference, both are commercial engines.
    The 25hp Kawasaki engine after the end of this year wont be used, it wont pass new EPA regulations, the new engine we will use will not have the current air cleaner, it will have commercial filter system, but not the canister set up.

Honda info here > http://engines.honda.com/models/model-detail/gxv630

Pj

9. rwreuter

rwreuter LawnSite Member

Can you let me in on the new engine that you will be using?

10. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I dont have that information to release yet, sorry.