Fastrak super duty 36" commercial or not?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by wallacemerritt, Apr 2, 2008.

1. wallacemerritt

wallacemerritt LawnSite Member

I was looking at buying a 36" walk behind hydo and stumbled across the Fastrak Super Duty for around the same price. So like a lot of people I asked my self why walk when I can ride. I have several lawns that I cut that are fairly small or have gates so I need a 36" mower on my trailer. I like the idea of the rider but I noticed that on the Hustler Web site the Fastrak SD is listed under residential mowers. Is this mower a true commercial mower? What kind of productivity can I expect with this mower and what grade incline can this mower handle? I do have a few back yards that are slight hills. I really have no interst in a residential mower and I wan to see were this mower falls. Thanks

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

It is a commercial unit with a commercial 2 year warranty.
    The name changed on it this year from the Mini Z to the FasTrak SD, but nothing other than the decals changed.
    Here is a example of mowing with this unit @ 5mph average speed.

Deck width in Inches: 36
    Deck width in Feet: 3
    X Miles per Hour: 5
    X Feet Per Mile: 5280
    Feet Per Acre: 43560
    Acres Per Hour At 100% 1.82
    Acres Per Hour At 80% 1.45

As far as grade of incline we don't recommend any of our mowers (other than the ATZ) over a 15 degree slope.
    Conditions are a major factor in any mower on a slope.

3. karol

karol LawnSite Member
    from ontario

You might want to find out about the 2 year limited commercial warranty. It's not a bumber to bumber 2 year unlimited warranty like the fully commercial units have. It's in the home owner section not commercial. Do some research.

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

The Commercial warranty for the FasTrak Super Duty is as follows.

♦ Limited 2 years or 800 hours, whichever comes first – parts and labor.
    ♦ Lifetime warranty on the leading edge of the deck (original purchaser only).
    ♦ Lifetime warranty on the tractor frame (original purchaser only).
    ♦ 2-year engine warranty through the engine manufacturer.

5. wallacemerritt

wallacemerritt LawnSite Member

Well I stop by the Hustler dealer today to look at the one they have on the floor. The one they have is actually the Mini Z which is a 2007 model and from what they are telling me there is no difference from this one and the 2008 except for a name change (now called a Super Duty) and stickers. Over all it looks pretty solid but it has the ZT2800 hydros. Not to sure how well they hold up over the pump wheel motor set up. I guess the biggest down fall for me is the seat and leg room. I'm 6'2" so I was VERY cramped. The seat was in the furthest back position also. They did say that the plate that the seat is mounted to could be drilled to allow the seat to be moved further back, I'm not sure why Hustler doesn’t do this to begin with because there is tons of room to do this. They did unbolt the seat and set it back further to let me try it and it did give me a huge amount more room but it was still tight width wise but I certainly can't complain about that since it is a 36" mower. So it's doable. What's the ground speed on this mower? Also what falls under “Limited” 2 years on the warranty? Thanks

6. blackandgold

blackandgold LawnSite Senior Member

It's better than anything else in this class and and price range on the market.

7. karol

karol LawnSite Member
    from ontario

Not too bad. The commercial units have a better package. You can compare it on the Hustler website. The machine can be used for commercial use but it's not a fully commercial unit. It's kind of misleading. That's one of the problems i had with my hustler dealer when i bought the original fastrak mini. I was told that it was a full commercial unit. I like my TrimStar though.

8. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

It is not misleading, it has a commercial warranty.
    Did you buy a Mini Z or Mini FasTrak? I don't recall?

9. karol

karol LawnSite Member
    from ontario

I bought the mini-fastrak. The commercial warranty on the commercial equipment is much better. That's all i'm saying. I'd rather have the bumper to bumper and the 3 year warranty on the spindles,etc. The confusing part is putting a commercial mower in the residential section. If it's a full blow commercial unit it should be in the commercial section. That's all. It's still a good machine for gated yards even with the limited commercial warranty. In general terms hustler makes a good quality machine it's the DEALERS that can ruin a reputation for a brand name.

10. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Lets clarify that the Mini FasTrak is not the same mower as the FasTrak Super Duty 36/42 or its previous name the Mini Z 36/42.
    2 totally different mowers.