fastrak--too many choices!!!

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by sandman98, Apr 3, 2006.

1. sandman98

sandman98 LawnSite Member

looking for a zero turn for residential use. i have about 1.25 acres of relatively flat lawn to mow. i thought i was sold on the 18/44 honda option, but the dealer pointed me toward the 20/52 kohler. here's where i need some advice:

1. i want to buy a mower that will last me 20 years (i usually take good care of my tools).

2. how much time will the larger deck save me, since i already expect to cut this in 40-45 minutes?

3. is the overhang on the 52 that much wider than the 44, and if so, does that eliminate a significant amount of "trim work?"

4. is the 18/52 honda a viable option, or is this somewhat underpowered?

prices i've been quoted as follows:

20hp kohler/ 52: $4429
    18hp honda/ 52: $4875
    18hp honda/ 44: $4529

any advice would be much appreciated.

2. jmb18

jmb18 LawnSite Member

Here's another to add to the confusion.

What about the new 42" mini Z that is coming out soon? Full commericial mowers with faster ground speeds.

3. Shannon Phillips

Shannon Phillips LawnSite Member
    from indiana

So far I can only comment on my 20hp honda 52". It cuts very well and seemed to have plenty of power cutting tall wet Kentucky Bluegrass. I have only put 2 hrs on it so I am not much help.

4. mark602

mark602 LawnSite Member

I just paid $4799 OTD for my 20/52 honda. I would have preferred a smaller more manueverable deck, however the lack of anti-scalp rollers compelled me to move up. Try the smaller one and you will see snappy turns will sometimes cause a scalp. Also the roots in my 2acres don't cause problems with the extra rollers.

5. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

1) no problem, this unit will last a very long time as long as you take care of it.
    2) I would expect you to mow it in that time or less, once you are comfortable running the mower.
    3) there is little to no overhang on the 44", there is about 6" on the 52", well worth it, just in the amount of time you will save from having to trim with a weed eater.
    4) the 18/52 is somewhat of a sleeper in our FasTrak line, it is of the same engine block as the 20hp unit, and is not underpowered at all.

The prices you have there are good, no problems there.

Pj

6. moss2940

moss2940 LawnSite Member
    from texas

When I was shopping I almost bought the smaller deck. I bought the 52" after hearing about the extra overhang and saving on weedeating time. I also heard it hear on this site. The dealer never mentioned it.
    I am so glad I did. I say if you have room to use it, get the 52" deck.

7. jblalock17

jblalock17 LawnSite Member
    from MS

I have the 20/52 Honda. It is a great machine.

I was orginally thinking 18/44 or MFT, but I am really glad that I got the bigger unit. The overhang is nice. I paid $4675.

If you plan to keep it 20 years, you really need to get a machine that you will be happy with.

8. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

So true!!!