Fastrak Tranny problems

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by VTtwinner, Jun 13, 2008.

1. VTtwinner

VTtwinner LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

New to this forum, hello all. First, gotta say I love the Fastrak 21/54, bought it last spring, no problems up to now. Mower began to be sluggish with the right control handle. Got worse, to the point where I was barely able to drive onto trailer to bring to dealer. Dealer took one look/drive and knew right away what the problem was. He said that Hustler had issues with some Fastrak trannys. The pulley bearing on top of the right tranny looked like it totally frapped and was missing. The pulley was very loose. The dealer said this problem was more than skin deep and included the shaft as well. Hustler is covering all under warranty, so I'm a happy camper. My question is, do I have to worry about the left side frapping in the future, worse, after my warranty expires. My mower has 62 hours, mows my own lawn only, mostly flat, and open.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I am not familiar with it if we are having issues, its new to me.
    When you say frapping what do you mean?

Pj

3. zemzabob

zemzabob LawnSite Senior Member

Thats the same mower I plane to buy, hope this is not a problem I have not heard of any trans problems with the Fastrak. PJ are there going to be any changes between now and next spring that you are aware of on the Fastrak?

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I am not aware of any changes coming on the FasTrak or FasTrak SD anytime soon.
    They are both relatively new to the line up.

Pj

5. VTtwinner

VTtwinner LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

First, let me say that I mis-spoke and falsely stated that Hustler had 'issues' with their Fastrak tranny. Forums are great, but they can be abused, and I'm guilty of this. I'll try and set the record straight.

I finally got my mower back. They had to have a new tranny sent from the factory. This tranny was shipped through the flood ravaged area of the midwest, and took a while to get to Vermont. Mower now back in top form.

I asked again what the problem was. There is a nut that holds the drive pulley to the shaft of the right side tranny. This nut was not torqued to spec from the factory. This nut loosened, leading to a wobbly pulley which eventually destroyed the tranny. My dealer told me they had received a service bulletin about this, that a select few of right-side tranny pulleys were not torqued to spec. Dealer stated that he had seen this on one other mower. My dealer was thorough, up front and great to deal with.

My Hustler mower is a great piece of machinery, built like a tank, with a great compnay behind it. I placed my original post to see if anyone else has had this issue. I should have thought through my query more before I posted.

Sorry PJ if I gave you fits with this post.

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Heres something to think about...
    The hydro assembly comes from Hydro Gear with the fan on it already, we don't torque it, they do.
    Regardless, sorry you had this experience.

Pj